Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mokes

Perception Freedom Angler

13 posts in this topic

Anyone know anything about yak? I cannot find any reviews on it regarding the ocean.

Looks nice though, saw one up close, but I don't know where I can even rent one. I might jump on it though at 599.00. 13' long, 30" wide.

View PostGood boat. I have an illusion and it only lacks a tank well that this one has. Go for it.

Good to hear. Seemed like a solid yak, and I trust Perception. Can't beat the price for a sit on top. Tough finding a seaworthy yak for under 800, lol.

Can ANYONE tell me why this kayak is 599.00, and a Heritege Redfish is 1000 bucks?

I almost pulled the trigger on the Perception, but the price difference is freaking me out bad. I feel like maybe I will screw myself.

As I live in Central MA, I cannot easily try out every yak out there.

For 1000 bucks I can look at ANY high end Ocean type yak, but seriously..my wife will murder me.

I don't want to blow 600 on a yak that can't perform, and with so many options out thee, my head is spinning now.

All I KNOW is I need a yak 12+ feet, and that it's a sit on top. My choices seem to be, Ocean Kayak, Wilderness, Malibu, and Heritage, and this one lone Perception.

Only the Perception seems to be in my price range, and give me all the goodies, minus a rudder.

I had the Search 13 by Perception it was a good boat, I think this looks like a good boat and they made some improvements over the Search 13. I would take the Perception in a heart beat over the Heritage Redfish.

View PostI had the Search 13 by Perception it was a good boat, I think this looks like a good boat and they made some improvements over the Search 13. I would take the Perception in a heart beat over the Heritage Redfish.

Sooooo....i went back to Dick's to see this yak again. It's a Caster 12.5.

From what I have read, it's a decent Yak, with a few issues. 1 is regarding the fact there are no Scupper holes in the seat area so the ride will get a bit wet. Also I have heard of people saying the front storage hole is not watertight, but others have disputed that, so idk really.

The Search 13 looks good too. Either way, I'm sure it's fine overall if I decide to go for it, and save myself 2-300 bucks.

Mokes- If you're looking at the Caster 12.5 definitely check the sales ad for Dick's every week. They had it for $499 two or three weeks ago. Good Luck in your search for a kayak

View PostMokes- If you're looking at the Caster 12.5 definitely check the sales ad for Dick's every week. They had it for $499 two or three weeks ago. Good Luck in your search for a kayak

Thanks man.......I have been flip flopping all over the place. Today I looked at a Emotion Mojo 12. (hated it) I saw a Manta Ray 12 (very nice), and a Heritage Redfish 12 (also very nice)

I can get a non-angler version of the Redfish for 699.00, and I may go for it. It's more coin, but a lot better yak all in all. Manta is nice too, but about the same as the Redfish it seems.

Oh, desicions, desicions.....kooky.gif

If you are looking in that price range, see if you can find a tarpon 120.

All in all the redfish is a good yak.

I still love the perceptions though.

Mokes, I have a Perception Caster 12.5 I bought from Dicks a few years back. Let me give you my opinion. The Caster is a very stable boat. I have only used it in fresh water, but took it on the river just to see how it would handle wakes, and it did well. It tracks VERY straight. To the point where turning it at times feels like trying to steer a car with no power steering. The rod holder up front is a great feature. I use the back ones for my net. I have added a Hummingbird 565 fishfinder, anchor trolley kit, and a clam cleat. You really don't need much more then that.

Now I have to say the absolute worst part about this yak is that the seat is not self bailing. If you take a wave or a wake the water pools up in the seat. Leaving your butt cold and wet with no way of getting it completely out. This is a big enough pain to outway the positives on this boat in my opinion. It is not a factor too much in fresh, but I can imagine that taling it in the seas you better have a wet suit butt!

Well.....HOPEFULLY, if all is true with this deal I am getting....I should be putting half down on a Heritage Redfish 08' (non-angler) model next Friday.

I've looked at about every SOT out there. I would say MOST of the big names are all good in thier own rights.

Some are faster, some are a bit more stable...some are crap like the Emotion Mojos....bleah.

I really like the Redfish, and Manta Ray 12's. Both are similar, but the Redfish has a much more open floor, and I want that. Simple, stable, easy to move around in. Plus I am geting a great price.

I saw a Tarpon 100. Nice yak too, but the 120's cost mor ethan I want to spend, and I don't see where the Tarpon is really much better.

I may grab a Caper later for my wife, or something similar so she can paddle around with me. She won't fish much, so no need to get a higher end yak.

I'll keep you guys posted after I actually SEE this yak, and give my downpayment. Pretty excited to start adding my fishing stuff to it.