Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
iphish

GPS antenna question

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I have a furuno gps/plotter/ff, the unit is dash mounted the antenna is mounted on top of my t-top. Up until a week or so ago I was getting an accurate, steady signal, now the only "visual" I have on the screen is my very last reception. All indications of trouble shooting from the manufacturers site indicate that it's the antenna cable. My boat is on the cape and I am in ME.

question: I suppose antenna cables of 3 salty years can begin to corrode from the inside or is it likely the connections to exposed antenna itself?

Assuming it's the antenna are most cables the same? or are the proprietary to the head unit therefor forcing you to get one directly from the manufacturer?

any other suggestions?

I had the exact problem with my Standard Horizon (4yrs old).

As it turned out the antenna cable had corroded near the unit, A relatively easy fix,,,,however this also caused an internal fuse to go and this required the unit to go back for service. this was not diagnosed, but i was toldthis was very likely by a factory rep,

Talking to the rep , he said that aftermarket antennas and cables woulld fit and likely work, but they are typically lower quality. This would not fix the fuse problem for me.

I suppose you can try another antenna, When I pulled mine apart it is just standard co ax.

However based on my own experience its probaby worth a call to he factory.

fo $65 Standard fixed mine and threw in a new antenna.took two weeks but I am happy

View PostI had the exact problem with my Standard Horizon (4yrs old).

As it turned out the antenna cable had corroded near the unit, A relatively easy fix,,,,however this also caused an internal fuse to go and this required the unit to go back for service. this was not diagnosed, but i was toldthis was very likely by a factory rep,

Talking to the rep , he said that aftermarket antennas and cables woulld fit and likely work, but they are typically lower quality. This would not fix the fuse problem for me.

I suppose you can try another antenna, When I pulled mine apart it is just standard co ax.

However based on my own experience its probaby worth a call to he factory.

fo $65 Standard fixed mine and threw in a new antenna.took two weeks but I am happy

are you saying as a result of you trying to fix the cable (splicing what have you) it caused the the internal fuse to go OR are you saying the fuse went as a result of the corroded cable?

I do not know about HIS issue, but generally speaking, a corroded wire will cause a fuse to blow. Especially an internal one on a GPS antenna. I assume it isa TINY fuse in the circuit board of the antenna. When you have corroded wire, it acts as a resistive load. In a good general every day example, it is like this. Let's say you have an old house, with only a few circuits in the house. You turn on the microwave, the light, and the window A/C unit all in the kitchen, the fuse blows. Having a corroded wire is like adding that 1 EXTRA light that just manages to blow the fuse.

This can also happen with poos splicing, but VERY unlikely when using crimp-style connectors, which if anyone plans on repairing ANY wiring on boats should use.

Hey Cheif2, thanks for clarifcation, I wasn't thinking that there would be a fuse in the antenna- I was thinking there would be one in the head unit itself. makes sense now, I'll just buy the whole unit, cable and antenna and install

The fuse was in the unit itself, not the antenna. My connection to the unjt was compromised by salt water soomehow and corroded.

I cut the cable in order to try and make a splice. It didnt help.

The Standard Rep told me the fuse was not an uncommon problem designed to save the board inside. It was gone when the unit ceased working.Just suggesting a call to tech service..it could save you some aggrivation.

Standard recognized the weak point and the new antenna had better protection on the connector. These units are sensitive and subject to pretty harsh conditions. The manufacturers constantly upgrade.

If this is a common problem with that unit they may fix free or inexpensively.

I made the point that I relied on these units to get me home and I was disappointed it stopped working. They want your repeat business and at least in my case worked to keep a customer.