Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TimS

OK, someone help me here...

Rate this topic

100 posts in this topic

is this racist? If you think so, please explain why - thanks.

*I'm posting it cause someone reported it - I'm trying to understand where the line is between political humor and racism -- do you think this is racist?

africaneconomics-1.gif

it is political humor with racial overtones(the african references) which some could think is racist and I would be in that camp but with that being said I dont believe in censorship

View Postis SOL hosting it?

cause all I see is a red x.

It was too big to upload so I left it where it was - now I moved it to our server so you can see it.

TimS

View Postit is political humor with racial overtones(the african references)

Doesn't Obama refer to himself as African American? How could "African references" be considered racist? Racial, yes, absolutely - he ran on a racial platform, he speaks from a racial platform, he is referred to on a racial platform, the media speaks of his race....yes, it is a racial reference - but how would that make it racist?

TimS

View PostDoesn't Obama refer to himself as African American? How could "African references" be considered racist? Racial, yes, absolutely - he ran on a racial platform, he speaks from a racial platform, he is referred to on a racial platform, the media speaks of his race....yes, it is a racial reference - but how would that make it racist?

TimS

I think the crazy dancing & mask does it.

View PostDoesn't Obama refer to himself as African American? How could "African references" be considered racist?

not all african americans identify with it as a culture, but as a means to identify race. i mean, Egyptians are no where near the same culturally as people from Kenya.

when BO refers to himself as an african american, i'm pretty sure he doesn't have gibberish speaking witch doctor in mind.

No!

Not racist at all, I actually admire the thought that went into this skit. He(Obummer) is after all spending money like he is in Zimbabwe wink.gif

View Post.....when BO refers to himself as an african american, i'm pretty sure he doesn't have gibberish speaking witch doctor in mind.

And yet a gibberish speaking witch doctor is what he sounds like when discussing his economic fixes. Voodoo economics..... term's been around a long time.

View PostAnd yet a gibberish speaking witch doctor is what he sounds like when discussing his economic fixes. Voodoo economics..... term's been around a long time.

so why isn't he dressed like a Haitian?

I am not 100% convinced the clip targets race but rather african economies

his father is kenyan, but I am not sure that is enough to make the full connection

View PostI am not 100% convinced the clip targets race but rather african economies

his father is kenyan, but I am not sure that is enough to make the full connection

I saw the same thing. It seemed like the target connection was African economies (which are usually in a shambles) and Barack Obama's spending spree. Because he declares himself an African American, the humorous link is in place.

If it was intended to be racist, I'd expect something more along the lines of American black stereotypes. Africans aren't the target of those.