Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dcjr45

Lousy weather

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

With theses low temps and crazy amounts of rain this month, how do you think it has affected the surf fishing and how will it affect the next couple of weeks? Just curious to see what if anyone thinks it has shortened the season, lengthned it etc,

DC

I think what will have the biggest effect is the east winds we have had for over a week. I haven't been keeping up on the water temps, but am willing to bet with that east wind, the water went up at least 5 degrees, which IMO will have made the fish move north.

West today might cool it off a bit, but I don't think enough.

Weather should improve starting next week and then we can have a better idea of the previous weeks weather had on our beach fishery.Lots of bunker out about a mile of the beach.

No thermometer reading but the surf felt significantly cooler in the SFZ this morning, a day of hard south wind will do that. My friends were wearing their wetsuit boots again to surf. Just an observation

Well, I fished this morning and the water didn't feel that cold at all. From where I was fishing the rain from yesterday didn't affect the surf that much. Caught bunch of blues and a striper.

What we need is west winds. Anything with a west wind will do even sw. West winds bring bunkers close to the beaches.

So far it doesn't feel like summer at all. It's been all rain and cool temps. Hopefully it will change for the better soon.

Bad weather just makes it uncomfortable for us. There are lots of fish still around, but only those who fish hard enough and use other methods are catching more consistant. The bunker chasers I've seen haven't been having a banner season so far, but then again, I don't sit and watch all day long. Before the bunker blitzes I used to love the east wind in June. I think I'm gonna get back to my roots.

View Post I don't sit and watch all day long.

If I can see the water, something is going out there. I know people say you can't plug and bait, but at this time of the year, I have heads out in the suds, and a pencil popper on my plugger. My nephew is my point man, and if and when the reel starts singing, I walk over and switch poles.

Never understood standing on the beach with full garb waiting for the fish to ball up the bait. With some of these outfits, 100+ yard casts should be the norm. Then again...

The reason most fishers will sit and wait for something to happen is the only real game in town is the bunker. If the bunker are there the bass prolly are to. The bunker are like crack to bass and they will do some stupid stuff just to get them. You might pick up a stray or weakfish or flounder but chances aren't as good as the pods of bunker!

"If the bunker are there the bass prolly are to."

Tell that to the 100 boats along the SFZ area drifting around bassless bunker schools on Fri morning. Lots and lots of bunker and it was close in but no fish. I could have got on any jetty and the bunker were snagable. I had already fished most of the night and caught some fish as well and didn't feel like fishing empty bunker pods.....

Just seems like there are less big fish schools this year. Could it be coldf water, over-fishing, bad weather, etc...Who knows. The only thing I know for SURE is that a lot of big fish have been killed the past few years and figure out how long it takes to replace an 15-20 year old fish....The best part is that if you understand yoy numbers you know there isn't much in way of numbers coming up behind this last push of bigger fish to replace them.

John

View Post"If the bunker are there the bass prolly are to."

Tell that to the 100 boats along the SFZ area drifting around bassless bunker schools on Fri morning. Lots and lots of bunker and it was close in but no fish. I could have got on any jetty and the bunker were snagable. I had already fished most of the night and caught some fish as well and didn't feel like fishing empty bunker pods.....

Just seems like there are less big fish schools this year. Could it be coldf water, over-fishing, bad weather, etc...Who knows. The only thing I know for SURE is that a lot of big fish have been killed the past few years and figure out how long it takes to replace an 15-20 year old fish....The best part is that if you understand yoy numbers you know there isn't much in way of numbers coming up behind this last push of bigger fish to replace them.

John

Its alot different and thats a fact. The weather is completely opposite of the last few years we have had with pervailing w winds. That could be it. Word is 2 or 3 miles offshore there are bunker and fish, but I dont trust most boat guys word.

YOY says these next two years were going to be when the biggest YOY in recent history should reach 50lb maturity....if they live that long.

I hope its the weather or a shift due to stupid beach replenishment and not the more ominous, and maybe more logical fact that we are killing all the bees. Hope I am wrong.frown.gif

View Post"If the bunker are there the bass prolly are to."

John

This happened the last time the fishery collasped and it's happening again.frown.gif