Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
russmurr

MURKY Water

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

What success do you have fishing in murky colored water for stripers with artificial lures. What are the best artificial lure to use when the water is a chocolate color along the shore from the water runoff from storms drains. I have fished in these conditions a couple of times with no success.

Muddy water separates the men from the boys. Live bait will still work in muddy water but lure fishing in murky water gets tough. Its not impossible though. In stained water you want to think bigger and louder. Use your Magnum sized lures in your brightest colors you have White, Chartruse ect. Lures that make lots of noise or vibration are also good. Slow your retrieve speed to a crawl helps. I once caught some huge bass vertical jigging a jumbo white spinnerbait like a diamond jig with a blade so large you could not comfortably reel it, have never seen on with that big a blade since. I think the fish felt the vibrations of the large blade with their lateral lines instead of sight, it was that muddy. I still have that dang spinner 10 years latter (you never know). On the bright side if you do get a strike it might be a good fish as it can't get as good a look at your lure in dark water. Ever notice those short strikes in clear water? All you can do is speed up your retrieve as they are getting to good a look at your plug right before they hit., hope this helps

View Post

What success do you have fishing in murky colored water for stripers with artificial lures. What are the best artificial lure to use when the water is a chocolate color along the shore from the water runoff from storms drains. I have fished in these conditions a couple of times with no success.

View PostTry something thats chartreuse or another brighter color

Got to make a distinction here. Yes bright colors will help in water that's not very clear; churned up from waves or wind with suspended sand etc.

But chocolate color along the shore from the water runoff from storms drains is a different animal. While storm waves will break up clams, move all kinds of crustaceans etc., runoff lowers the salinity and oxygen. The fish will just move to the clean water. Anyone who has stood on the bluffs at Montauk after a good heavy rain will know exactly what I'm talking about. The runoff will dissipate a few hundred yards to a mile off the beach and the fish will seek that cleaner water. My best advice after heavy rain runoff chocalates the water, catch up on the "Honey-Do" list for a few tides until the water cleans up.

View PostGot to make a distinction here. Yes bright colors will help in water that's not very clear; churned up from waves or wind with suspended sand etc.

But chocolate color along the shore from the water runoff from storms drains is a different animal. While storm waves will break up clams, move all kinds of crustaceans etc., runoff lowers the salinity and oxygen. The fish will just move to the clean water. Anyone who has stood on the bluffs at Montauk after a good heavy rain will know exactly what I'm talking about. The runoff will dissipate a few hundred yards to a mile off the beach and the fish will seek that cleaner water. My best advice after heavy rain runoff chocalates the water, catch up on the "Honey-Do" list for a few tides until the water cleans up.

Bingo.

I've had best success in murky water with parrot, whether it be a danny, needle or Jr.

View PostGot to make a distinction here. Yes bright colors will help in water that's not very clear; churned up from waves or wind with suspended sand etc.

the man nailed it. if the water is only stained i find that parrot. all pink can work fluorescent colors. they need to see the bait. i have had fish on these colors in stained water