Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mcurtiss

The ACLU hates our freedoms!! No wait, it LOVES our freedoms!!

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I'm so conflicted

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...&f=1039434 29

The American Civil Liberties Union has sued the Transportation Security Administration on behalf of a traveler who was hassled by security agents at Lambert-St. Louis's International Airport after he repeatedly asked if the law required him to answer their questions about $4,700 in cash he was transporting

The traveler, Steven Bierfeldt, was associated with the Ron Paul-inspired Campaign for Liberty and the money, which he was transporting in a metal cash box, represented the proceeds from the sales of t-shirts and other items.

Bierfeldt has become something of a cause célèbre for many who see his case as just another example of big government unconstitutionally intruding in the lives of citizens.

View Postso we like the ACLU?

We feel about them the way we feel about free speech, right? That is, depends on what they're defending. It's much easier that way (doesn't require principles...)

View PostWe feel about them the way we feel about free speech, right? That is, depends on what they're defending. It's much easier that way (doesn't require principles...)

we have a winner

sometimes they end up dealing with and helping some people i don't care for, to put it mildly

but free speech is free speech, even if you don't like what some people have to say

and if somebody wants to carry $4,700 in cash with them, it might be prudent to ask them about it, but it is not illegal and does not have to be declared since it is less than 10K

it might meet the legal threshold of probable cause to go through his stuff , but they can already do that before he boards a plane anyhow

When the ACLU starts defending 2A issues, I'll take a look. Until then... they don't impress me at all. Too liberal for my liking.

View PostWhen the ACLU starts defending 2A issues, I'll take a look. Until then... they don't impress me at all. Too liberal for my liking.

I've always been surprised that they don't defend 2A rights - their stance seems to be not so much that they are against gun ownership, but rather that they are taking a pass on that issue. To me, it would seem to make logical sense that they would defend gun ownership along with other civil liberties.

I don't actually consider the ACLU to be "liberal" - their clients come from both ends of the political spectrum.

About once per year or so, the ACLU makes a big thing of taking up a first amendment case defending some far out group like the KKK or the Neo-Nazis. Then they say "see, see, we defend everybody."cwm27.gifcwm27.gif

But make no mistake, if they could clone Joe Stalin and make him the dictator of the U.S., they would do it in a heartbeat. They are far left and 99% of the time are engaged in imposing their radical views on the rest of us.

They shy away from votes and elections and competing in the marketplace of ideas and instead choose to ramrod their views via judicial oligarchy.

In 2006, the ACLU of Washington State and the Second Amendment Foundation jointly filed a lawsuit[69] against the North Central Regional Library District (NCRL) in Washington for its policy of refusing to disable restrictions upon an adult patron's request. Library patrons attempting to access pro-gun web sites were blocked, and the library refused to remove the blocks.

I wonder if the ACLU wouldtake the case of the citizens of NYvDEC in regards to violating our civil rights by requiring a saltwater fishing license, the feds require a REGISTRY, not a license!!

View Post

But make no mistake, if they could clone Joe Stalin and make him the dictator of the U.S., they would do it in a heartbeat.

It's this sort of hyperbole that makes real discussion about politics virtually impossible anywhere, and certainly impossible in this forum.

This isn't a jab at you in particular, or even people who share your particular views. But I clearly don't get this forum. I've been been engaged in, or have read, about two or three truly interesting and respectful discussions in something like a year and a half. What is it that everybody enjoys about an internet argument with a bunch of complete strangers, when there is no real attempt, or hope, of changing anybody's mind?