Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beached again

surfing question

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have a 15 year old daughter that wants to try surfing. I have never done it and have no clue. Where is a good place to rent a board and get a lesson. Don't want her to begin with bad habits. I heard there is a place near Gilgo beach but I'm not positive. Thanks in advance.

Try Bunger Surf Shop in Babylon. They might have a connection or teacher from within that works Gilgo. The shops in Montauk also give lessons and while she learns you can go fish. smile.gif

Go down to long beach and head to "Unsound Surf" between Lincoln and Monroe blvd on E. Park Ave. No reason to go all the way to gilgo, LB is a great , my favorite area to surf and it's closer to you.

They rent boards and offer leason plus the surfing beach is right down the block (Lincoln).

It's important for her to learn the rules and ettiquite for her safety as well as others. If you have any questions shoot me a PM wink.gif

View PostGo down to long beach and head to "Unsound Surf" between Lincoln and Monroe blvd on E. Park Ave. No reason to go all the way to gilgo, LB is a great , my favorite area to surf and it's closer to you.

They rent boards and offer leason plus the surfing beach is right down the block (Lincoln).

It's important for her to learn the rules and ettiquite for her safety as well as others. If you have any questions shoot me a PM wink.gif

I second this! highfive.gif

LB is a great place to learn how to surf, it's also one of my favorite spots to go myself.

View PostI think GILGO is a fishing beach only. headscratch.gif

Def not. drive by on a windy day and there will be as many as twenty kiteboarders in the water. Surfing has always been allowed at Gilgo Beach. 4X4 Gilgo access you are not allowed to surf.

Thanks for all the replies. Logcabins, I hear what you're saying about rules and safety. That is mostly why I want the lesson. I know nothing about it and I'm not one of these, hold my beer I'll show you type of guys. I will look into unsound. If need be I'll PM you. Thanks.

View PostListen to LogCabins, he is our resident "Surfer Dude"biggrin.gif

highfive.gif

View PostAlso a Lami Super Surf Series extraordinaire.freak.gif

cwm27.gifargue.gifbeatin.gifcwm27.gif

View PostThanks for all the replies. Logcabins, I hear what you're saying about rules and safety. That is mostly why I want the lesson. I know nothing about it and I'm not one of these, hold my beer I'll show you type of guys. I will look into unsound. If need be I'll PM you. Thanks.

No worries mate, Also google this, "Surfing Etiquette" there are a few things that come up and explain some basic rules with pictures and such going into detail, She can read up before she even hits the beach. There is also a book titles something along the lines of "surfing for girls", helps them look into stuff thats more specific to being a girl surfer. wink.gif

I know the LB surf club has been working on trying to get a "rules of the road" sign put up at some of the surfing locations which would be great and stop a lot of arguements and accidents. I cant tell you how many people go out there and don't even know the rules adn etiquette. It's actually great to hear somebody looking into these things before hitting the beach. icon14.gif

I surf down at Lincoln blvd often and there are a ton of great people down there including many women surfers that I'm sure would help her out.

Also there is a surf school in Long Beach, I personally would stay away from it especially if you are concerned about her picking up bad habits. Go to Unsound and get her one lesson and then let her rent a board a few times before buying one. After one lesson she needs to be out there as often as she can and through her own experience she will learn. Surfing is one of those things that after the rules and basics can't really be taught.

And like i said if you or your daughter have any questions shoot me a PM.