Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VicIII

your ideas..

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

These are my two favorite meals at a restaurant. Do you guys have an idea how to get this done at home? These are unbelievably good......

Coquilles St. Jacques - Our version of this seafood casserole is filled with shrimp, scallops, crab and mushrooms, then baked in a creamy sauce and sprinkled with Parmesan . . . 24.95

Crab au Gratin - A casserole of delicious, jumbo lump crabmeat baked in a creamed sherry sauce and topped with Parmesan . . . 26.95

Google a recipe, The CSJ is delicious. Basically a bechamel seasoned with sherry and a little nutmeg (very little). The cream sauce is loaded with the shellfish, which should be par cooked so it does not turn to rubber in the broiler. Spoon the mixture into a BIG sea scallop shell or use a small shallow baking dish, sprinkle well with finely grated Parmagiano Reggiano and broil till GBD.

We used to make this at a very fance restaurant I cooked at. There was always a couple of 3 gallon buckets of the stuff in the walk in ready to go.

Ours had lobster, scallop, shrimp, cod, shallot, potato, and a few things I can't remember. It was very good though, and I would make a little one for myself about once a month.drool.gif

I used to make a wicked good CSJ - like the man said, it starts with a bechamel sauce, I used to flavor it with a touch of sherry and then add fresh mushrooms, bay scallops and a good gruyere cheese - not that La Vache Qui Rit stuff that comes in little bits prewrapped - the gruyere I used looked more like a Swiss cheese. I used to make the CSJ and let it sit in the fridge overnight - then spoon it into these big scallop shells they used to sell in supermarkets and bake them with a bit of breadcrumb on top.

heart.gifheart.gifheart.gifheart.gif

Back in the day - that was the best dish to serve when entertaining a young lady . ...in fact, once I was making it a day in advance of such an assignation and I went over to borrow some sherry from the lady next door in the apartments I lived in...didn't get any sherry but I didn't get home until the next morning either naughty.gif

View Postnever done a bechamel sauce, any secrets??? I can follow a recipe but what makes it great..

Getting it right is all that makes it right. you "cook" the flour in the butter to the right spot-not too fast, not too slow. Don't let the name fool you, its a thin white roux, nothing more. It is the base for many other sauces.

Google bechamel, you can get schooled.

• 5 tablespoons butter

• 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour

• 4 cups milk

• 2 teaspoons salt

• 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Directions

In a medium saucepan, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden sandy color, about 6 to 7 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until just about to boil. Add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Season with salt and nutmeg, and set aside until ready to use.