Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr. Dad

They say we may get a little rain

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

my BIL owns a turf farm and said 75% of his fields have rot/disease due to all the rain..my freaking lawn has mushrooms...that never happened before..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
View Postmy BIL owns a turf farm and said 75% of his fields have rot/disease due to all the rain..my freaking lawn has mushrooms...that never happened before..

 

 

mine has mushrooms too...unreal....and the freggin weeds are growing like gangbusters (I have rock driveways) beatin.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is pefect weather for marasmius oreades (fairy ring mushrooms). They're very common in lawns this time of year if it's been a wet season.

 

Also known as the Fairy Ring Mushroom, these little brown mushrooms are actually one of the best edible wild mushrooms in North America. Of course if you don't know what they are, the worst is assumed. I imagine a whole lot of these wonderful little mushrooms get the ****e kicked out of them ever year by irate lawn owners. smile.gif

 

525

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of different mushrooms that grow on lawns and none of the rest are quite as nice to find as the Fairy Ring Mushrooms. frown.gif

 

There are a lot of grayish/brown thin stemmed insipid little mushrooms that pop up in wet weather and most aren't particularly interesting or useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
View PostThere are a lot of different mushrooms that grow on lawns and none of the rest are quite as nice to find as the Fairy Ring Mushrooms. frown.gif

 

There are a lot of grayish/brown thin stemmed insipid little mushrooms that pop up in wet weather and most aren't particularly interesting or useful.

 

or killers hopefully?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some poisonous mushrooms that grow on lawns, with some of the LBM's (Little Brown Mushrooms) being the most common. And most of those are either wretchedly unappetizing in appearance and size or smell and taste. Nevertheless, one can't assume any mushroom found is either poisonous or edible. You have to have a good knowledge of the mushrooms to know.

 

If you're curious, I'd recommend the book "Mushrooms Demystified" by David Aurora, which is only about $30.00 as a paperback and has over 1000 pages of pictures, interesting wrting and descriptions and keys for thousands of the most common mushrooms in North America. The writing alone is worth the reading. David Aurora is a clever and witty fellow as well as the foremost author on mycology in the world today - and the book is written so that it's easily digested without requiring any pre-knowledge of mushrooms or mycology, so it's a great book for people with any level of experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robert wow you do know your mushrooms...

 

-i've been an avid picker since a kid in poland biggrin.gif... and my folks love to go out and pick, it brings back such great memories... I'll start lookin for these little guys...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.