Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adaboy078

Scup city

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Here is a quick question. When there are enough scup around, do they actually strike the top of the water, almost like a blitz. I was out fishing near a midcape bridge and the water was splashing violently from 10pm to 1am. Loud pop's and fish jumping out of the water. It was too dark to tell what they were. I thought it was snaping blues until a minvan full of guys starting pulling out dozens of porgies. Is it possible that it was schoolies going after the scup causing all the comotion? I threw some swim shads to see if it was, but that didnt work. I don't fish this area much, but I have never seen anything like it on this particalur river. Very cool. Ended up with a fat 26" striper on a live eel and I wanted to X-ray that bellie of hers. I'll be back tomorrow to try and find her bigger friends. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

are you sure those guys were catching scup?

it sounds to me like you might have witnessed a school of POGIES. when they are schooled up they make a bait ball and slap the surface. during the day it looks like a black cloud moving through the water with the water being very nervous.

i, myself, have never seen a scup near the surface. they are bottom feeding fish and that is where they tend to stay.

curious as to what river you were in. that would seal the deal for me whether it was pogies. PM me if you like.

Could be a school of pogies or other bait getting worked over by stripers.

The scup would just continue their bottom feeding thing while that was going on so guys could still catch them.

Probably not scup up on the surface.

View Post I thought it was snaping blues until a minvan full of guys starting pulling out dozens of porgies.

I bet they kept they kept them all too....undersized? The minivan full of guys is a dead giveaway, lol.

I'll confess, I have never seen a pogie alive, only their heads. I do know a porgy (aka scup) when I see one though (especially in a pan drool.gif).

Yes, the minivan of guys was taking undersized fish. They were not from around here but I wasn't gonna mention that. I didn't get involved. I'm thinking it had to be schoolies going after bait making all the noise, whether it was the scup or not. The only thing that has me thinking otherwise is the frequency of the strikes and how damn many there were. I only got one mad.gifbiggrin.gif Whatever it was, they had full meal.

View PostI'll confess, I have never seen a pogie alive, only their heads.

You have never seen an entire pogie alive, but you have seen a live pogie headbeers.gifzombie fish's ahoy!

20050924215305_newzfish.jpg