Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mybeach

friggin SCOTCH blue painters tape SUCKS!!!!

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Remind me never to buy this stuff again. I normally don't use tape, I have a rock steady hand and I can paint amazingly straight lines freehand. Really. So, I decide once again to tape off an area where I have a funky reach, you know, just to be safe.

Friggin tape bleeds through onto the old and pulls the new paint off the wall. Friggin painters tape? how about calling it TAINTERS tape? Stuff sucks. I'm going on a hard core SCOTCH product boycott, and I've already contacted them about it.

End of diatribe.

I agree,the stuff always seems to cause more problems than it solves.

The green stuff that they sell for automotive painting is good though, it's a whole different animal. Expensive but worth keeping a roll around for when you really need it.

I only use it for floors when painting baseboards, and moldings when painting ceilings. Those folks on the design shows sure seem to love the stuff thoughbiggrin.gif

the blue works well in the right conditions. The stuff can never get wet. When painting, you have to remove it when the paint is "green". Meaning when it is not WET, but not dry either. When it is somewhere in-between. Doing this will greatly reduce any and all problems you are having.

View Posti usually have better luck either freehand or with a wide tape knife to mask the field as i go along, and a rag to keep the knife clean

That's the way to do it - saves a lot of time too.

v.

View PostI heard Frog Tape (its green) is better but its more expensive maybe 2-3 dollars more per roll than the blue equivalent.

Agree. Frog tape is better but don't leave on for more than a day, tough to remove.

haven't used it yet but head frog tape is amazing...agree with taking the blue tape off when the paint is green though.....used the blue last winter on 3 rooms....only used it up agains the trim....didn't bleed at all...but then again the trim is in aqua pearl ..more glossy than the eggshell on the wall...maybe that had something to do with it...

View Posthaven't used it yet but head frog tape is amazing...agree with taking the blue tape off when the paint is green though.....used the blue last winter on 3 rooms....only used it up agains the trim....didn't bleed at all...but then again the trim is in aqua pearl ..more glossy than the eggshell on the wall...maybe that had something to do with it...

Pearl, semi, high gloss, it will all bleed if you don't tape it right. You just happened to do it right! beers.gif

Ya'll need to learn how to cut a line. tongue.gif

got to make sure the surface you're taping is clean, no dust. Any dust at the edges of the tape will cause the paint to get underneath it. I prefer free hand with a big brush, the biggest the job will allow.

The green tape which is stronger is generally not a good idea either as it can rip things off the wall including new paint, rock, etc...its mostly difficult to peel off and you will ruin whatever it is your trying to cover up...

The best thing is to practice painting lines use your pinky finger as a guide/stabalizer and know the right amount of pressure to apply to the brush...the hard to reach places just take practice.