Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
High Plains Drifter

My new Okuma Cedros CJ65S has arrived!

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I've gotta run right now but very briefly....I think Okuma has done it! This feels like a very solid smooth ALL ALUMINUM (Frame, rotors, side plates) reel. It gobbles 47" of line per crank (6.2:1) and I WOULD CLASSIFY THE SPOOL AS A LONG CAST SPOOL! 430 yards of 12lb. (mono) and it's not real heavy! Awesome smooth and very powerful drag! More later. Like I said, I gotta run. - HPD

My initial impression is this is a first class reel (not a backup). My preliminary feeling is the Emblem Pro is in trouble. The proof will be in the pudding. I'm going to torture it surf casting on the Mexican Pacific for two weeks this August and then I'll send it to Allen Hawk for a tear down analysis.- HPD

PS - Yes, now that I have this reel in my hands I'm very very impressed (so far).

View PostMy initial impression is this is a first class reel (not a backup). My preliminary feeling is the Emblem Pro is in trouble. The proof will be in the pudding. I'm going to torture it surf casting on the Mexican Pacific for two weeks this August and then I'll send it to Allen Hawk for a tear down analysis.- HPD

PS - Yes, now that I have this reel in my hands I'm very very impressed (so far).

Good to hear. I like Okuma tbh. I have my Van Staal, but I could use a 2nd reel for my plugging setup I am gonna make up. Heck..I may even grab one for my wife.

im shocked anyone is that interested and psyched about an okuma reel

lemme know how its does after a year as its been my experience that they really start to show big time wear around that time

Always nice to see a new player in the game imo. I really hope Okuma keeps moving forward....

I ABUSE my gear badly, and they seem to hold up well.

View PostSo other than the handle and some cosmetics, what's the difference between the Cedros and the Salina?

Sorry, I'm not an Okuma expert. For one thing, the Salina retrieves only 34" per crank in the 65 size vs 46" for the Cedros. That's a very big difference and a very deal in my fishing (roosterfish). - HPD

I'll be eagerly looking forward to seeing how it casts HPD - looks like it might have the makings of a great surf reel (i've never heard Okumas talked of as great casting reels, though). Could we have a casting comparison with, for instance, the emblem pro. Also, i'd love to see it weighed.

With that kind of retrieve rate there could be a big market down here for it - if the internals hold up! The fact that they're marketing it as a jigging reel makes me think though they must be pretty confident of the drivechain.

View PostI've gotta run right now but very briefly....I think Okuma has done it! This feels like a very solid smooth ALL ALUMINUM (Frame, rotors, side plates) reel. It gobbles 47" of line per crank (6.2:1) and I WOULD CLASSIFY THE SPOOL AS A LONG CAST SPOOL! 430 yards of 12lb. (mono) and it's not real heavy! Awesome smooth and very powerful drag! More later. Like I said, I gotta run. - HPD

Attachment 252085

Beautiful reel.

Your pic shows the stem contours in greater detail than other pics I've seen.

Good luck with it, HPD.