Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayC

E-TEC tilt trim noise issue

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Well, I dropped the boat off on a Wednesday, and it was all ready to go on Friday. The tilt/trim motor assembly was swapped out for a new one. This one is working like brand new, the way I had hoped it would. The mechanic at the dealer reiterated to me that they ALL seem to have some noise, some much more than others. This is my "3rd" full replacement on this motor, and the last one back in October was bad from day 1. I have a video to show it, but not sure how to upload it since my cell phone service requires QuickTime PRO version to save the video from their secure site.

If it was the normal squeals I wouldn't have any issue with it, but the shaking on the way down is just not acceptable. It's not air in the lines, the system is self bleeding. All the pivot points had been greased multiple times, and the mechanic said it's just the way some of the E-TECs are. He said they have a new part out now, (I currently have installed).. and it's supposed to have fixed the problem. I really hope this is behind me now. If not, I may be trading in for a different brand. I'm surprised no other E-TEC owners on SOL have this issue, since the dealer and BRP said it's a common one. Maybe they just haven't seen this thread.

I didn't get to talk with the dealer about possibly switching the tilt/trim for a different brand. I'll see how this one goes and hope I never have to have that conversation.

I would have bet on the air in the lines, too. I have seen that on a couple different motors. Maybe the self-bleeding function was messed up/impaired.

I will also second (third, fourth, or whatever) that the squealing is normal, kinda like the squealing at the limit of your car's power steering.

was definitely air in the system, see it all the time, it is self bleeding but there is no way for the air to escape the reservoir those trim units are the same ones they have been using since the mid 90's and they were all problematic, mostly because of the two pins that hold them in becoming salted and being hard to get out to replace the pump, if they keep giving you new ones that's good, but next time try adding fluid before you go through the hassle and down time

I tried to add fluid, but maybe I wasn't doing it correctly. Here is what I did:

Raised the motor up and down all the way about 5 times, and then raised it all the way up. I opened the cap on the fluid reservoir and the oil started to pour out. I quickly shut it and figured that it was full otherwise why would it spill out? What did I miss?

The motor boat sits on a trailer at my house, has maybe 150hrs on it. This was the 3rd full replacement. It was the shaking on the way down that had me asking for the units to be swapped out. Noise is OK, but the shaking of my transom wasn't acceptable to me.

Two things here thaty I question. By running the trim up and down 5 times, you may have caused the fluid to foam and trap the air. Second, and I am not sure about this, every boat I have had with power trim requires the motor to be in the full down position. That was a mercury, never owned a modern Johnson.

Johnson needs to be all the way up, something is, it's either air or a stuck tilt tube, make sure everything is well lubed, grease should come out of both sides of the tube, also check your steering, that should be removed and the shaft that goes through the motor should be greased periodically, when you opened the res. did you hear any air escape?

jay, just keep doin what you're doing. Even if he tried to add oil incorrectly, or it locked the air inside causing the oil to overflow, it doesn't matter. I think that a mechanic who has replaced 4 pumps on his motor already, would have checked the fluid. It seems to be an issue for those units, and glad to see it is ok now. GL and have fun.