Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JayC

E-TEC tilt trim noise issue

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Anyone ever notice a squeel or shaking with noise when you lower your E-TEC. It seems to be intermittent for me, and always occurs about 1-3 inches before the engine hits the pistons. I have fully charged 1000CCA Marine Batteries and I don't think it's electrical. It happens when I use either the throttle tilt/trim or the engine tilt/trim switch. I've had the dealer work on it 5 times in the past 3 years. BRP has swapped the tilt/trim assembly out twice for a new assembly, but the problem always seems to return. The last time I had it changed, the dealer told me it didn't help, and he's seeing it on numerous E-TECs. I have a 2006 200 HP HO version. I love the motor but I wish this problem would go away. The dealer suggested I call BRP directly and say, OK, what's next? I did that today. BRP suggests I have the dealer call them directly again. The tech from BRP told me that it's a common issue they have seen, but no solid answer as to what can be done to fix it. The Tech says his personal one makes a squeel but doesn't shake at all. I noticed, if I provide a little resistence with my hand on the engine as it's lowering, it works fine. I'm doing this on the land, since I trailer my boat.

Just wondering how common this is. I know a few of you guys have E-TECs, so that's why I'm asking here. This will be my 4th tilt / trim unit if the dealer gets the OK from BRP to replace it again. I'm still under warranty for another 4 years. Thanks guys.

I am not aware of the problem, although it sounds like a problem with the unit when it switches. I have seen some(not sure if yours is) that have 2 speeds. Like in the range of trim that you might adjust while on plane, it works REALLLLLLLY slow, allowing for minor tweaks. While once past what might ever be used on plane, it moves much faster. I would assume that it is an issue with the switching mechanism, if your have this.

If not, I do not know. Either way, just a little info about re-calls, as even the local mechanic says he sees it a lot. They weigh the cost of replacing everything defective, against the cost of settling all the lawsuits. Considering this does not seem like a truely safety issue, I believe lawsuit settlements would be low, as not a loss of life type of safety issue. This leads me to believe that even if this happens to each motor they sell, for all the years you have the motor, it would be cheaper than re-calling. My advice might be to read up on the "lemon law" regarding boats/motors, and try getting a new motor entirely. Chances are this is a product-wide defect with a certain style of hydraulic pump.

I've never seen one with mutiple speeds before. Mine only has one.

This problem seems to come and go. If I let the boat sit for a while, it seems to be much easier to reproduce. I used to think it was tied to a weakened battery, because charging them up would make it go away, but I now have 2 fully charged 1000CCA batteries and it's doing it again. Probably has nothing to do with it.

I stopped by the dealer this afternoon. He called BRP, explained that I have had the entire assembly changed 2 other times and it's still not fixing the issue. BRP proceeded to tell him I'm no longer under warranty with them. My 3 years have passed and my additional 4 years is with a 3rd party named FPC. So we called them and ended up faxing over an estimate for a new tilt trim assembly. Hopefully, they will grant me the replacement. The extended warranty comes with a $25 deductable that I wasn't aware of, but that's a small price to pay considering the job costs of $1300. What bugs me is this has been a problem for me the past 2 years I've had the motor. I wish they could just get it right this time. I've had it in the shop for this issue at least 5 times. Sometimes they replaced it, sometimes they claimed I had a loose nut on my ground on my battery or the motors bolts were too tight causing the tilt /trim to chatter. They greased it up and that same day 1 hour later the problem was back.

The long story short is it seems to be a common problem for the larger E-TECS, and BRP Techs along with multiple dealers agree it's a known issue. They think it's a check valve in the assembly that intermittently fails. I forget the rest of the description except the fact that it's a design flaw that requires a replacement of the entire assembly. Hopefully the problem goes away soon. I'll let you guys know how I make out. Nobody else has this problem??

OMC although has improved since 2000 when Bombardier bought them out, it is nothing like the pre-80's company. Bummer on such an expensive motor giving you so many problems.

See if there is any way for the tech at the marina/dealer to put a different man. pump on the boat. I assume that any replacement will have the same issues, as you have stated it continues to be a problem regardless of replacement. If you have to pay 1300 out of pocket to fix it forever, it's worth it when you re-cant how much time lost in the repair shop.

Supposed to be $25 out of pocket for me. I went over the contract last night to double check what the dealer and BRP told me. I didn't realize when I was buying it back in 2005 that the extra 4years BRP was giving to sweeten the deal was through a 3rd party warranty company. I don't know that I like that so much. I'll let you know soon. BRP was super quick to fix any issues I had, but now I have to deal with the other company.

My wife said the same thing to me, "You had them replace it 2 times and it didn't fix the problem, why spend more down time and money for the same outcome" Man I hope this is not the case. Everythng else I really like about the motor. I couldn't be happier with it's performance, this is more of an annoying thing then a real problem. It does bug me though when it does the chatter on the way down. I'm sure you can tell....

yeah, but you missed what I was saying. I am saying, INSTEAD of going through the extended warranty(yes I hate them too, PITA to deal with, and end up being pretty horrible). Get them to put a (for instance) 200 hp yamaha brand, or MERC Brand, or ANYTHING brand hydraulic pump, and make it work on your unit for the $1300, and never have to worry about it again. Yes that will take the pump out of warranty, but it has no effect on the motor, so it shouldn't void the entire warranty.

I'd rather spend the money, and have it fixed forever, rather than have to get a new one every month.

aaaaaaaah...I see what you're saying now. Your right...I totally missed your point. I'll mention it to the Dealer. He services Yamaha also, so perhaps there is something he can come up with.

yeah. I don't have an outboard cert., so I never really did too much with them, but I have to "assume" that they COULD be modified to work. That should eliminate the issue. GL either way.

Well, FPC, the extended warranty company has approved my request for a new tilt/trim assembly. I'll let you know how it works out. Should be done next Thursday. I'm going to ask about the swapping out for a different brands tilt/trim motor assembly. I'm curious as to what the service department will say. I'm hoping this new part from BRP does the trick, but it hasn't in the past.

Well hope that you get it fixed as I have the same issue with my Yamaha 150 4-Strk.... It will squeal every now and then while lowering the motor down to the lowest position. Mine only does this while in salt water though headscratch.gif .......Please let me know if that fixes your problem.

Isn't the "squeal" normal as the lowest position is reached? My Merc 30 does it every time, and has for the ten years I have owned it. I use it to let me know it's all the way down. I seem to remember my Merc service manual referring to it as a sort of tell-tale.

Best regards,

Irv

yes Irv, this is a pressure relief valve(I believe) that is made to squeal so that you know it's down all the way. It is completely normal, as I have heard it on every single trim unit. The only time thisis not true is with trim-tabs. Never heard them squeal like an outboard trim unit.

If mine just made a squeel I wouldn't mind. It's the shaking it does, like it's falling down before it gets to the pistons, then it's normal one it gets to the pistons. Maybe I'll take a video to show you.