Cheapo Tackle Fishing Club

Rate this topic

TACOBEN

Recently, I bought a $16 nine foot shimano rod with a $45 reel and caught an 20 pounder off the surf. It was actually a blast to catch this fish off of tackle that you know...at any point can fall apart on you...kinda living on the edge so to speak.

Which brings me to to start this thread....

Anyone out there like myself who is fishing with tackle combinations less than $75. It's time to come out of the closet and reveal yourselfredface.gifwink.gif ! Also, what is the biggest fish you ever catch with your cheap setup?

This is a good thread. I've been a tackle bargain hunter for years and have got lots of "econo" setups. Now I have to qualify this by saying that inexpensive doesn't mean cheaply made. In other words; over the years I've aquired lots of gear that should have cost much more than I paid for it. Some of it was used, some of it was new but with no box or paperwork, some of it was just priced wrong by the idiot behind the counter.Whatever, I bought it all. One of my favorite econo rods was one I bought for my son at a shop on Long Island a few years ago. Beach Runner is the maker, I think, and I paid only $17 for it because it had one broken guide. The shop owner threw in a new guide, which I wrapped and gave my boy a really nice rod along with a Penn 4500 which I bought new at Walmart for only $20 because it was out of the box and had no paperwork. The reel was perfect, otherwise. So that entire rig cost me less that $40 and my son and I have taken countless fish on it. Largest striper on that rod was probably 30 lbs or so.

Valentine

Econo rods can be great deals but when it comes to reels you definitely get what you pay for, and sometimes even less, never more.

The closest thing to a econo reel would be the BG series and the SS Tournament Whiskar series both by Daiwa.

I have 3 econo rods that I love.

The 9' South Bend Trophy Tamer salmon rod - $28

7' Contour boat rod by Sea Striker - $70

And the 8 n bait 10' Okuma Celillo. $60

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

My old bait setup was a $40 10' Ande Tournament Rod, and a $65 Penn Captiva set up. This was a sweet setup until I felt the reel actually torquing at the handle when reeling in a 15# bluefish...there is also a lot of play in the handle after catching fish over the years...I guess I got my $65 out of it but I try to spend more on my reels now that I would rather spend $200 and have one last me forever (I take excellent care of my tackle) than one that costs $65 and will last me a couple years.

Quote:Originally Posted by Eric_Sfirst hit turned out to be a 13lb bass on a big plug. Very happy to see stripes again so I humped it then sent it on its way.

View PostMy old bait setup was a $40 10' Ande Tournament Rod, and a $65 Penn Captiva set up. This was a sweet setup until I felt the reel actually torquing at the handle when reeling in a 15# bluefish...there is also a lot of play in the handle after catching fish over the years...I guess I got my $65 out of it but I try to spend more on my reels now that I would rather spend $200 and have one last me forever (I take excellent care of my tackle) than one that costs $65 and will last me a couple years.

my friend weighed in an 85 lb black drum last year caught on that exact same setup. using 12 lb mono.

"Panacheless is no way to go through life"

Tims

cheapie reels are ok if you up grade the drag washers might have to do so sizing on the washers to make them fit "dremel" as far as cheapie rods gotta remember its like line only so many places make rods and all of them slap a label on them master owns penn most of its cosmeticbeatin.gif

View Postmy friend weighed in an 85 lb black drum last year caught on that exact same setup. using 12 lb mono.

Ive caught some large cow nosed rays on the same set up reaching up to 40#s but after time I guess it just couldnt handle it anymore. I even used to back that reel after hearing people call it a "craptiva" but the last time I used it it felt like the reel was going to twist off the reel seat. My friend (inexperienced angler) felt the same thing as we both felt uncomfortable using the reel to fish with.

Quote:Originally Posted by Eric_Sfirst hit turned out to be a 13lb bass on a big plug. Very happy to see stripes again so I humped it then sent it on its way.

I've mentioned this story before, but I was fishing off the boat with an old Quantum Blue Runner 8' spinning rod and the combo reel that came with the package. Hooked, reeled in, and landed one 6# bluefish... and the reel seized up to be dead forever.

One of these days I'll get up the courage to buy another budget item (my least expensive most recent purchases were an $80 9' Tsunami Trophy rod to use while my Arra 1084-2 was being fixed by Lami, and a $100 Ugly-Stik 10' to use for 6-8nbait).

Those were with a Quantum Cabo and Abu Garcia 7000 respectively.

Quote:Originally Posted by Mark LevinLiberals tell you the government sucks, and they want more of it!

Get some good line on there and you should be alright!

Couple Pfleuger reels I picked up for less than $40 have served me well.

I wouldn't trust them tossing heavy jigs in current, they weren't made for that. Conventionals work better there...

JC

...where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise.
---------------------------------------------
Thomas Gray (1742)

When I was a kid I used cheap stuff because that was all I could get. But I'm not a kid anymore. I don't see the logic in using cheap stuff just to prove a point. It'll work a lot of the time but sooner or later it's going to let you down. I'm not an advocate of super expensive tackle either. Good, reasonably priced, proven tackle is your best bet. It's false econony to use crap.

To answer the question of the original poster, yes i bought an outfit that was under 75.00, however that was about 37 yrs. ago when a dollar was worth mabey 85cents instead of .35, Then you could buy a quality rod and reel for what seems like a paultry sum today.

My favorite and most productive rod is a $20 Shakespeake Spinning Tiger from Walmart. I've had it for a good couple of years as my go-to boating rod, and if the fish are there, it definately catches them.

I do agree on the comments about the reel. The reel that came with it was sufficient, but I insisted on quality and upgraded to a Shakespeake tidewater, and still have good results while keeping money in my pocket.

My cheap Okuma , which I have dropped or banged many times, gotten more sand into it than the beach replentishment programs, has lasted me six years and hauled in a good amount of blues, fluke, skates, an occasional striper, and many, many searobins. My two year old Shimano BR3500, used maybe five times, has a sticking problem at times which Shimano addressed but did not fix, and..........it fell out of my son's hand the other day while climbing onto the dock, maybe 18 inches, and the handle broke. I'm not gonna ***** about it, but I took a look at the pin that was broken and you'd think they could have used a more durable metal for it. I picked up a Penn Power Graph II Rod by the end (stupid, I know) to pull it out of my stationwagon, and the last 15 inchs snapped off before I could get my hand on the reel. I've done that dozens of times with no problems. It's Ugly sticks and used Penns from here on. A klutz like me can appreciate sensitive and expensive equipment.