Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hooknladder

opinion

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I thought it was OK to ask Questions on the Forum. To get a reply of buy a book or google it is not the answers I want or need . If you dont want to give advice then dont. I know I can buy books and use search engines but I thought this Forum was to get first hand knowledge and good sound advice. If this is wrong I appologize.

View PostI thought it was OK to ask Questions on the Forum. To get a reply of buy a book or google it is not the answers I want or need . If you dont want to give advice then dont. I know I can buy books and use search engines but I thought this Forum was to get first hand knowledge and good sound advice. If this is wrong I appologize.

Hook...it is ok. I think Sea was just trying to steer you towards a wealth of info. I don't think he meant to be offensive. smile.gif Your question about the best line for the Colton 8 wt was a good one and there are plenty of people here that can give you SPECIFIC info as it applies to that rod.

Personally I think Bob answered it best.biggrin.gif

View PostI thought it was OK to ask Questions on the Forum. To get a reply of buy a book or google it is not the answers I want or need . If you dont want to give advice then dont. I know I can buy books and use search engines but I thought this Forum was to get first hand knowledge and good sound advice. If this is wrong I appologize.

Of course it is ok to ask questions but you will not and cannot always expect the type of reply you may want. Don't forget all of us are privalaged to get replies as we are taking someones elses time which is utterly priceless. Wendell was offerring good advice as you will get more info in doing a search than starting a brand new question well you will at times anyway. Ask away but we all have some responsibility to do a bit of the work ourselves we can't expect to be totally spoon fed on every occasion.

Sometimes we get questions which quite honestly the only answer is to go away and read a good book. The good thing on SOL is that the Guys will tell you the good books to read.

The clasic question is I am new to Fly Fishing tell me all I need to know. we see them and it is just amazing what some posters expect of others time. A forum just can't give the whole 9 yards on threads.

I am sure that you will get other replies to your question on leaders if that is the post you are referring to. Your question suggests that you are not an experienced Fly Guy so be patient and you will learn a lot on this forum. Without a doubt the best one I go on.

Cheers

Mike

Personalized responses are great, but don't expect one when you ask a very basic question that has been answered here many times. I have asked basic questions myself, but it helps immensely to show that you did a little research on your own.

Finally, whining about how you're not getting exactly what you want is not going to get you far here.

Don't take this the wrong way, I wish you luck, just remember the adage 'you get what you pay for'. Maybe this will help:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stripers+online...r+fly+beginner

View PostI will just observe and look for my answers. Sorry about the whinning belive me it won't happen again.

Good man. Stick around you will be made incredibly welcome. You don't have to agree all the time either. Only that Tryant Brian (The Mod) gets the last word.

Mike

Look man, I was just trying to help you out. I can tell from your questions you are just getting started and I really appreciate, and know first hand, your enthusiasm...I think all of us have been there. Problem with posting some general questions on forums is you will get many, many, many different replies, some good, some not-so-good. Everyone has differrent preferences on fly fishing and how to do it. If you go out and get a couple books on casting, fishing and flies you will have a wealth of knowledge at your finger tips that you can use to "steer" you in a general direction so you can develop your own preferences and opinions on the sport...your own style of fly fishing. Also, like Wendell pointed out, if you don't want to read hardcopy you can google/search away and pool the information, weed out what you want and use it.

If you ask what weight line for a Colton 8wt some will say brand X, some will say brand Y...some will say get a 8wt line, some a 9wt line and even some a 10wt...some will say don't even get a floater, get an intermediate...then that will spark a 100+ post discussion on Floating vs. Intermediate line. By this time you could have gotten through 2 chapters of Lou Tabory's Inshore Fly Fishing book....you will see my point if you stick around.

Good luck my friend

Chris

Find a local saltwater fly fishing club, I did up in Joisey and learned a bunch real quick.

Actually Chris I thought Lou was a super fast sink line let the fly rise to the zone kinda guy.

I second the opinion on Tabory's book. I learned an incredible amount for it. The fishing club suggestion is also an excellent one, has served me very well. There, you have hundreds of years of combined experience to learn from, rather than learning by trial and error over a lifetime. It'll fast-forward your learning, and boost your enjoyment of the sport.

View PostLook man, I was just trying to help you out. I can tell from your questions you are just getting started and I really appreciate, and know first hand, your enthusiasm...I think all of us have been there. Problem with posting some general questions on forums is you will get many, many, many different replies, some good, some not-so-good. Everyone has differrent preferences on fly fishing and how to do it. If you go out and get a couple books on casting, fishing and flies you will have a wealth of knowledge at your finger tips that you can use to "steer" you in a general direction so you can develop your own preferences and opinions on the sport...your own style of fly fishing. Also, like Wendell pointed out, if you don't want to read hardcopy you can google/search away and pool the information, weed out what you want and use it.

If you ask what weight line for a Colton 8wt some will say brand X, some will say brand Y...some will say get a 8wt line, some a 9wt line and even some a 10wt...some will say don't even get a floater, get an intermediate...then that will spark a 100+ post discussion on Floating vs. Intermediate line. By this time you could have gotten through 2 chapters of Lou Tabory's Inshore Fly Fishing book....you will see my point if you stick around.

Good luck my friend

Chris

Well put..

HooknLadder:

Knowing where you will be fishing can help some of the more experienced guys narrow down choices and help steer ya in the right direction. If you intended to use the floater in the beach, I would have to say I disagree with the use of a floater in the surf. It has its places but i prefer a heavy sinker or at the very least an intermediate. With this is, if you were set on fishing a floater form the beach guys would be able to further help you by making you throw a 9wt line instead of an 8wt floater. This will help load the rod even more and cut through some wind that you would find on the beach. I could keep going but this is just based from the locating you fishing from, not even rod specific.

Don't take anything you read here personally, you'll get some opinions that you like and dislike but its a public forum, so there nothing wrong with it. Just roll with the punches and don't take anything to heart, but also know which guys are really good and experienced an pay attention to them and you'll be on your way to be a sharpie. icon14.gif

Sean

Hook, I hope you keep posting.

The guys above me explained things very well IMHO.

I would only add that real broad, general questions sometimes aren't the best to ask. In example a question like "What fly should I use for stripers" is very broad. A better question might be to post a thread called "Fly Choice Help" and then in the first post explain your situation....IE: "I am fishing the open beaches of central NJ in June. I fish primarily after work, at dusk. What are some patterns and colors I should try when targeting bass?"

You'll get more specific answers that will help you more efficiently icon14.gif . Don't get discouraged smile.gif .

And Tabory's Inshore Fly Fishing is an EXCELLENT reference book for our sport IMHO!

Alan

You know guys like email posting on this board does not allow you to feel the emotion of the person doing the writing. Sometimes our answers may appear harsh when that was not the writer's intentions at all. I'm not accusing anyone or point the finger at anyone, I think the guys on this board are the best and have been a good deal of help to me.

Maybe the answer to hook's question should have been I use Orvis Clearwater Int line but try doing a search and see what other guys are doing. By the way there are good books to help you get started try Lou Tabory's inshore fishing...

Hook don't be thin skinned the guys on this board are a good lot, research a little on your own and then ask your questions. I hope you continue to post and in a little bit you can give your opinion. To the rest of you thank you for all the info you have given me and i hope no one takes offense to this post.smile.gif

You know guys like email posting on this board does not allow you to feel the emotion of the person doing the writing.

I completely agree with you shorebird....

Remember hook, this board has many very talented fishermen, (not me lol) It is not a board loaded with folks that write for a living.(also not mebiggrin.gif ). If it was it would be a writers forum.

Sometimes it can be very difficult to interpret the written word. Add to that a mix of culture and language and you can get confused about how the person felt while writing a response to a question in which he or she may not have understood 100% themself!

Most of us spend a lot of time honing our fishing skills, not writing skills.

(If I just insulted any writers out there.......sry)

Please keep posting!! and asking!!

Speaking as Forum tyrant, then, there is no such thing as a "best" rod, "best" line, "best" line for a given rod, or the "best" size pair of pants. Answers to questions like that are necessarily more a matter of taste then anything else.

Flyrods, fly lines, like PCs, firearms, cameras and a multitude of other tools, are good enough so that only a small, small minority of users can extract their full potential. I can't think of any line of rod that is best suited to a particular manufacturer's lines. What's more, there's a lot of variation from sample to sample in all these things. If, for example, my STS 9510 is best suited to an SA WF11F, it is not a safe assumption that another STS 9510 might feel the same way.