Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drako

Bryce Harper quits HS...

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Plus, in an age when tennis and golf prodigies leave their families for top-flight academies before the age of 10 and future basketball studs are identified in the sixth grade, what's the problem with Harper setting out on a very defined career path? Being the top pick in the draft could net him $20 million or more, so making a play while the chips are on his side is just simply a smart move - especially in the volatile world of baseball talent.

Add Gymnasts to the above list, and probably a lot of other Olympic sports which really have no future at all. Even if he'snot the #1 pick, and gets taken in teh first round - he's looking at a $2 million signing bonus + contract. IT's not like he is dropping out of school, he's getting his GED and enrolling in a Juco - I'm not saying that is the best academic move...but the whole point of going to school is to get a good job. The majority of what we learn in school is ENTIRELY USELSS, you just need that piece of paper. This kid is still going to get a piece of paper, not as fancy as other's will get, then get nother piece of paper in colege (assumed), on top of the chance to get anywhere from $2-$20 million, and evenmore if he steps into the minors better prepared than he would have been facing HS competition.

FWIW, most of us have no problems when pro teams sign 16y/o's from foriegn countries, ot me that's a far bigger "crime" than a kid opting to go to college when he should be in HS. lol, that's a prodigy.

Hell,when you look at the number of professional athletes that have made ungodly amounts of money that suck,this is absolutely the right call.The worst that could happen is he craps the bed and uses that 20 or so mil.to go to a good college,build up a business and still make a pretty good living......

.....or blow it all on strippers and coke like so many before him have donewink.gif

He'll have every PS3 game ever made now and then some. He'll be trading in a potential high school beater car for a brand new Bentley with 22" rims. High School Sweetheart or your favorite Penthouse model in your newest June 09 issue that is tucked under your bed? Minimum wage high school job or having 20 million in the bank with an ATM card?

I guess rap music really does motivate kids or his father was a fan of LL Cool J back in the day. Kids, listen to your parents. icon14.gif

"CAsh ruLes everytHing ArOund Me, CreAm gEt THe MoNEy, DollAR DollAR bIll YaLL!"

Bentley%20Mansory%20Fuel%20Girls-2.jpg

isn't that Wu Tang?

View Post

I guess rap music really does motivate kids or his father was a fan of LL Cool J back in the day. Kids, listen to your parents. icon14.gif

"CAsh ruLes everytHing ArOund Me, CreAm gEt THe MoNEy, DollAR DollAR bIll YaLL!"

Bentley%20Mansory%20Fuel%20Girls-2.jpg

View Posthe gets seriously injured.

forced to quit baseball.

doesn't even have a high school diploma

a brilliant idea

20,000,000 over a 50 year working career = 400K annually not including interest. 13,000,000 (after taxes) x 4% (minimal return) = 520,000 annual interest/return on his money.

So where did you graduate from high school?

it's probably been brought up, but anyone think this kid could be a product of modern science? Just sayinsmile.gif

Inmo,The kid should take the money he can always go back to school, no one really learns anything their last year and half of H.S.anyways, most kids have already been accepted or not to their chosen schools, and kids start taking coaster classes. He wont be missing much as far a an education goes, just the social aspect, which I enjoyed in those last 2 years.

He will either end up like Tiger or Todd Marinovich. I think pro Baseball is still the toughest sport to transition to from lower levels, a close 2nd is Football.