Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seaswirl21

Full Tank of Gas ???

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have a 2003 seaswirl boat with a yamaha motor and yamaha digital gauges. My problem is the gas gauge is reading full and it has between 50 and 70 gallons I'm guessing. My tank holds 100 gals. It was find 2 weeks ago, now as soon as I start it, it shots up to full and stays that way. I wish it was full, but not knowing how much gas I have makes me nervous. Any ideas what I should be looking for to fix this. Thanks...............

mechanical/electrical gauges are prone to sticking. The sending unit is in your tank and is usually accessible via an inspection hatch. Just make sure that you're grounded and not smoking a cigarette when you open the tank. One spark and you won't know what hit you. It's wise to empty and vent your tank before servicing.

Another solution is to install a fuel consumption gauge like FloScan. I can't imagine boating without it. With it, I can set my speed to the optimal consumption rate. You can also see how trimming the boat with tabs affects your consumption rate. Great tool, and its very accurate at telling you exactly how much fuel you've used since you last reset it, which is usually when you fill up.

In other words, forget the gauge in your tank and buy a FloScan if you plan to keep your boat for a few years.

Don't have a floscan(or any gauge for that matter) but other people whose boats I have been on have had it. If I had a tank that I couldn't see through, I couldn't live without it.

2nd floscan.

I 3rd the floscan, it is awesome to have one. It is better then having a gas gauge. I have my first boat with one and don't know how I did it without one, the new smartcraft gauges that come with the Merc. Verado have the floscan built right in. They make life much easier.

Open the inspection plate and locate the sender wire that goes to the gauge. It may be pink. Disconnect the wire and the gauge should read empty. Ground the wire and the gauge should read full. If that is the case, the sender is probably stuck or broken. be careful if you open the sender attachment plate. If your tank is fairly full and the boat is sitting at an angle, the fuel may be up to the top of the tank where the sender is even though the tank is not completely full.

thanks for the help guys. but is it really safe messing around with maybe 50 gallons of gas? Of course I know, no smoking or open flame, just makes me nervous. Is the sender on top of the gas tank? Also, there is a clear plastic tube that comes of the back of the gauge, could this have anything to do with it? thanks........

You either need to recalibrate it, or the fuel sender needs to be replaced. I only know this because I've been having the same exact issue. Mine works some days and others it doesn't.

Replacing the fuel sender looks easy enough, but I wouldn't play with that and cause more damage (to the boat or yourself). Besides, I think the dealers use a seperate tank to calibrate since you need to empty the tank to set it to 0, then fill it halfway then top it off.

If you can afford it, let someone else do it.

You can test as I detailed without opening the tank itself. If it turns out that the sender is bad, you can either replace it yourself or have a mechanic do it. Get a WEMA sender. You can all them to help pick the correct model.

The Yami digital gauges doesn't have a calibration for zero level. The sender reads 230 ohms at its lowest reading. There will still be some fuel in the tank since the gauge should sit about an inch above the bottom of the tank