Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheFish

Stolen Van Stall Reel and Custom Rod --- CASH REWARD

Rate this topic

63 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying please do not accuse anyone. If you see what you think is my reel, please call the police as I have filed a police report and they will handle it. You can also call me at 631-806-8182 and I will get the police involved.

My Van Staal (model VS250) was stolen from my house this past week. The reel is silver and very unique. It has a mako shark engraved on the side of the reel and also the words "ICAST 2002". Please keep an eye out as I will offer a $200 reward to anyone that can help lead to it's return.

The reel was attached to an 11ft custom wrapped rod (GSB132-1M). The thread color was royal blue and, at the time it was stolen, it had a breakaway cannon (casting aid) taped just above where the reel attaches.

Along with my rod and reel, the thief took my brand new surcaster ultimate bag that was filled with custom lures. They also walked away with two of my wetsuits.

reel.jpg

That's a unique reel, that scumbag will try to sell it to a local pawn shop. I had my surf gear stolen years ago, nothing as nice as yours, but it still hurts the same. I hope you get it back.

mad.gif

View Postit appears these thieves know a decent amount about fishing gear. hopefully they get caught

I agree, it also seems they knew what they wanted.

Was the reel serviced by VS? If it was you could get the serial number from them and have them put it on file that it is a stolen reel. I have heard this has worked for victims in the past. Keep a sharp eye on Craigs list and ebay as well. Go to areas that are fished alot and have easy access in your area and alert anybody that may be there to keep an eye out for it. Bring that picture along with you so they can see the engraving on the side. I wish you the best and I hope for its return to you

I beleive that the gear can be located if we band together and lookout for it.

Its hard to keep crimes 100% to ones self so in my opinion there is or will be someone who knows the dude who stole it.

So, come on dude, rat your friend out for the sake of the fishing comunity.

And if your ratting leads to the arrest of a "Gear Theif", TBD here will add $200 to the 200 bucks allready posted by the victim.

FOUR HUNDRED DOLLAH SHOULD MAKE SOMEONE HOLLAH smile.gif !!!!

TBD

View Postit appears these thieves know a decent amount about fishing gear. hopefully they get caught

If they knew anything about fishing gear they would know that something as unique as an inscribed VS is going to light up anywhere they try and sell it.

If you're going to steal something to sell it then you don't grab something unique; you grab something ordinary that can't be discerned from thousands of others.

I think you're giving the thief too much credit....or more likely your tin-foil hats just need adjusting.

do what they do with old cars to raise money for a charity, give people a bat and charge $5 for each swing at him.

until then, good luck. hitting the beach today, saving your cell #.

View PostIf you're going to steal something to sell it then you don't grab something unique; you grab something ordinary that can't be discerned from thousands of others.

Good advise for all you newb criminals. headscratch.gif

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

View PostGood advise for all you newb criminals. headscratch.gif

I'm not trying to assist anyone in a life of crime. I'm simply stating the facts.

I deal with musical instruments, items that can be stolen and turned around at a rate you wouldn't believe. A guitar can be snagged at a bar gig tonight and end up in a pawn in Connecticut or on CraigsList two states away by the next morning. The buyers market for these items is WAY larger than a reel or surf bag or plugs, no matter how much you cherish them....the market is WAY more active for musical instruments.

The last thing someone that steals it is looking for is for it to be easily identifiable. It's as simple as that.

The good part about this is that it means that it's going to be harder for the thief to unload it quietly.

What needs to happen now is the owner needs to watch CraigsList; he needs to make sure the report is filed with the police. He needs to keep an eye on the local pawns and he needs to put together some flyers and drop them by the local shops. He needs to watch eBay and even go so far as to post ads about looking to buy a reel like that one in hopes the thief realizes what he has is VERY unique and by not advertising he'll keep a low profile. The reel isn't burning a hole in the guys pocket, but he WILL want to unload it before the end of the season, which will likely mean looking to keep an eye out for the next few months.

Offering a bounty for something like this is a stupid idea. With it being so unique if the thief gets word of it they'll either just toss it and not risk getting caught or take a belt sander to the thing and that'll be the end of it.

I have an incredible respect for the SOL community, and I share in the outrage when something gets stolen. But when you take things in the context like this it usually only serves to make the situation worse. I know this from dealing with items that are WAY more desirable and WAY more prone to thievery than just about any piece of fishing gear out there.

View PostI'm not trying to assist anyone in a life of crime. I'm simply stating the facts.

I deal with musical instruments, items that can be stolen and turned around at a rate you wouldn't believe. A guitar can be snagged at a bar gig tonight and end up in a pawn in Connecticut or on CraigsList two states away by the next morning. The buyers market for these items is WAY larger than a reel or surf bag or plugs, no matter how much you cherish them....the market is WAY more active for musical instruments.

The last thing someone that steals it is looking for is for it to be easily identifiable. It's as simple as that.

The good part about this is that it means that it's going to be harder for the thief to unload it quietly.

What needs to happen now is the owner needs to watch CraigsList; he needs to make sure the report is filed with the police. He needs to keep an eye on the local pawns and he needs to put together some flyers and drop them by the local shops. He needs to watch eBay and even go so far as to post ads about looking to buy a reel like that one in hopes the thief realizes what he has is VERY unique and by not advertising he'll keep a low profile. The reel isn't burning a hole in the guys pocket, but he WILL want to unload it before the end of the season, which will likely mean looking to keep an eye out for the next few months.

Offering a bounty for something like this is a stupid idea. With it being so unique if the thief gets word of it they'll either just toss it and not risk getting caught or take a belt sander to the thing and that'll be the end of it.

I have an incredible respect for the SOL community, and I share in the outrage when something gets stolen. But when you take things in the context like this it usually only serves to make the situation worse. I know this from dealing with items that are WAY more desirable and WAY more prone to thievery than just about any piece of fishing gear out there.

You definitely got your point across that time. icon14.gif

I don't know the circumstances under which the gear got stolen, but my guess is that it was a crime of opportunity. It's a shame that we have to unload our gear and store it inside the safety of our homes. I know we've all heard it before, but we never even locked our doors years ago. A diligent neighbor of yesteryear is now called nosy or a busybody.

Craig's List and EBay should be held partially responsible (impossible, I know) for allowing their sites to become fences.

fishbulb, if i recall correctly, you were vocal against my thread where I put up a reward for the indentification of a gear theif confused.gif ...