Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Charlie M

Guzz- Come out, come out wherever you are!

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Since the discussion of builders from past came up, I thought I would shed some light on a really great builder that helped start this forum. Before SOL even started, I shared ideas and techniques (mine were rather crude) with guzz through email. He was a great mind to bounce things off of. When SOL started, the LBF started shortly after and with out a doubt, guzz was the heart and soul of it. He would help anyone with anything and even though his plugs caught a ton of fish, you couldn't find a more humble person. When it is said that he is missed around here, it is a huge understatement. Unfortunately he doesn't visit much anymore, but maybe he will see this and say a quick hello.

If you ever get a few minutes of free time, I strongly encourage you to do a search of his post and see some of the really great plugs that he built. Here's a few that I still have. They will get fished, but one is staying to get passed along to the next generation.

Guzz.jpg

Yep, guzz is definitely missed around here. Once I unpack my stuff from fishing this weekend I'll dig up a few more of his plugs for a photo op or three. Always have at least one with me when I hit the local lakes or streams. Caught a ton of fish on them and still do.

Jigman

Hey Andrew-yes all is well. I haven't had much time to make plugs lately, but I am still turning. . . Still got a bunch of plugs you made me that I bang fish on a regular basis.heart.gif

Hope all is well with you too!

View PostA nicer guy, I never met. He makes some of the best plugs around.drool.gif

Guzz- You da man!

Bassholl ?????

Oh man talk about an oldtimer! You still signing your plugs with the dot system? How go the darter wars?

I miss Guzz also.frown.gif I owe a lot to him for first giving me some of his plugs. That glider still makes my heart jump. But more for getting me to take the leap to building plugs from scratch. Guzz you ever poke your head back in here hit me up. Now I have plugs I want you to test wink.gif

I was fortunate enough to be in several swaps with guzz and pick up a few of his plugs. A sample of them here.

guzz is probably best known for his topwater plugs. However, he made a bunch of other styles too:

top one is killer in heavy current. Small lip and a decent amount of weight to keep it stable. The other swimmer has a the lip flat against the front of the plug. Also stable in moving water. A freshie sized bottle plug to boot. Old school, done on the belt sander and rattle cans.

A few gliders, a fat bellied pencil (it swims too wink.gif ) and a spook:

I got the spook, took it out for a test swim and nailed a smallie on it the first time out. It was first week of March. Made guzz all twitchie cause deep down inside he is a topwater junkie, ice out had just occurred, and it would be a month or more before he could even think about topwater biggrin.gif

And finally, gotta have some poppers:

Top 3 are all old school, belt sander and rattle cans. The top one is the first custom plug that I got that really tore the hell out of the fish. First time out with that one was probably one of the best days of smallie fishing on the creek. About the only thing they would hit that day too. After about 20 bass I started to really pay attention to how it sat in the water and different ways that it could be worked. Guzz and I talked through PM's for a while after that with him giving me pointers and suggestions on building walk the dog type plugs. I think I learned a few things from that!

Jigman

Tom, things are going. Still turning plenty of stuff. Stick around, may be you'll score some more wink.gif The plugs are probably a lot better since you last got a few while at the tackle store hotel. You know, the one on the Cape with the fancy cement pond/rod cleaning station biggrin.gif

Jigman

I think Guzz was responsible for a bunch of us to get started building our own plugs. He has a style all to his own, i have copied it bunch of times. Thanks Guzz You Rock Bro

Ah yes, the Capeview. The memories of that weekend are burned into my memory.

I recall first meeting Gary Hull aka Gary2 (God rest his soul) in the parking lot there: He was cranky cause there weren't any fish around.

I remember Bassmaster Ho'ing plugs from everyone . . .

I remember meeting Winch ( hey Winch!) and saying to myself "He looks different than I imagined he would be from looking at his plugs!" LOL

Yeah Winch, I still sign with dots; haven't figured out how to sign my full name yet!biggrin.gif

I could go on and on . . .

I gotta get back up there one of these days!

The plug building get togethers at jenty's were awesome. All you "old timers" here inspired me and helped me get better at plug building.

I can see that all the newer guys have taken it to the next level and the plugs are even better.heart.gif

Keep up the great work guys!

View PostQuite the collection jigman.icon14.gif I am going to look around for more stuff.

You could easily find a bunch more at my place. guzz was quite generous. Thats about 2/3 of the guzz plugs that I own. Smacked a few LM on the purple/silver glider in the above photo smile.gif

Jigman