Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CastMasterFlash

Ron Arra vs Super Surf vs anything cheaper...

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

background

90% of my fishing is in the canal and i have a 10' st croix triumph rated for 3/4 - 4oz and does well up to 2.5 maybe 3oz pencils and i have also thrown a tsunami, airwave, emcast, interline (longest yet) and surf king. I have a emblem on my jig rod and a stradic 8000 on my plug rod.

question

can anyone compare any of the said rods to a lamiglas ron arra or super surf 10' or 10'6" and tell me if its worth saving up for???

lami's are in a class of their own compaired to said others. i have a arra 9' and a gsb 108m 9' and compaired to my old croix there is no comparing. i now use conventional gear and have chosen not to use a lami but i am using the shimano 10'er works for me.

I can't help you in the comparison dept, but I own a XRA 1205 and a Super Surf 1201mh and I think the 1205 is the better casting rod........maybe stronger as well.

Yes. I don't believe the Super Surf rods are within the Ron Arra Surf Pro series; they are separate sets of rods. I have not heard that the Super Surf rods are better casting tools, but will listen with interest to anyone who says they are, and has some experience or logic to support it.

I have both the ron arra and the super surf. I like my supersurf alot more than my ron arra

With that being said i bought the tsunami as a bait rod and tried to cast it. I can cast almost double the distance with my lami than with my tsunami.

View PostI can't help you in the comparison dept, but I own a XRA 1205 and a Super Surf 1201mh and I think the 1205 is the better casting rod........maybe stronger as well.

So the 1205 casts plugs better...I haven't heard that before, do you throw plugs heavier than 3oz? I am really interested in both but don't want to pay the extra $150 for the SS if not necessary.

as far as strength, i guess it depends what type of inflictions the rod encounters but I've spoken with someone who has stripped the rod and said it was almost impossible to cut through it with pliers.

View PostI have both the ron arra and the super surf. I like my supersurf alot more than my ron arra

With that being said i bought the tsunami as a bait rod and tried to cast it. I can cast almost double the distance with my lami than with my tsunami.

Wow thats incredible...I would say I can throw a 2.5-3oz plug about 100yds with my 10' st croix and I am 25, 5'9" 190lbs. -do you think the super surf would outcast 100yds (I use a stradic 8000 and an emblem spinning reel btw)

thanks for the input

With a plug like that absolutly i ahve a buddy who can throw that almost 3/4 the way across the canal.

Im 23 205lbs and 5'10" and i think you would love the surf series. I throw abu 6500s on both of my rods. I dont know how much more distance with a spinner your gonna get bc im not familar with spinning rod. I was gonna tell yah you could cast mine bc i live in sandwich but im not spinning. The surf series are top of the line rods. What i can tell yah is that if i pin the surf series against the tsunami the surf series smokes the tsunami.

View PostWith a plug like that absolutly i ahve a buddy who can throw that almost 3/4 the way across the canal.

Im 23 205lbs and 5'10" and i think you would love the surf series. I throw abu 6500s on both of my rods. I dont know how much more distance with a spinner your gonna get bc im not familar with spinning rod. I was gonna tell yah you could cast mine bc i live in sandwich but im not spinning. The surf series are top of the line rods. What i can tell yah is that if i pin the surf series against the tsunami the surf series smokes the tsunami.

wow 3/4's is a poke! thanks for the offer, I could probably cast a plug a mile with your rod but there is no chance there would be any line attached to it when it lands frown.gif . thanks for the advice.

I have a XSRA1322-2 and had a LAMSS106MHS. The Ron Arra is pretty sweet and actually cast well. I feel that Super Sport I had doesn't cast well and was a big disappointment(especially considering the price.) Mabey with the exception of the ron arra's I wouldn't be looking at lamis for casting distance(woefully inept.)

I own the Arra 1205 and the SS 10' M...and have used both.

In my Humble opinion...and personal experience I found the Arra, the rod I would chose if I was throwing very heavy bucktails, 4 oz and up.. Any mid- range weights, and lighter, the SS hands down. Spinning for both.

with a lami gsb 1201m and emblem, i throw a 90yard average, hitting 100 yds sometimes... went to football field to measure distance to make sure.

the gsb's are sweet and a bit cheaper.

View PostThe 1322 - 2 is a grand rod, sweet spot seems to be three ounces. Like mine a lot.

A pretty decent compromise between casting distance and "feel."

I agree about three ounces.

I hope I don't break mine.tongue.gif

well I ended up getting a factory made gsb 120 1L and I loved it for swimmers and plugs up to 2.5oz but i really liked how it faught fish so I then just baught a xra 126 1mh to throw plugs from 2.5 to 4.5 and do some jigging as well. I like the rod...but really have to get used to using these lamiglas rods with the medium action. I dont think I am getting the same distance as I was with some of the other fast action graphites I was using. I think my best bet is getting a solid lesson from someone who knows how to load these rods.

-any advice on casting these rods?