Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chigger

Wrangler question

39 posts in this topic

What is the difference when looking to drive on south shore long island beaches, when looking at wrngler X's, sahara's and rubicons?

Thanks. Never had one or a beach vehicle and would like some info.

all wranglers have 4 wheel drive so no worries there. It should be good enough for what you want to do. You don't need a rubicon if your using it just for sand off roading. You will find airing down in any 4x4 should get the job done. Unless you want to get into some rad stuff where you'll need the extra traction devices like locking diffs then go with the Rubi. The X and Sahara are just trim levels but don't have the stronger axles, locking diffs, electric sway bar, mud tires etc...

A good beach vehicle will have high road clearance, 4x4, and aired down tires. All stock Wranglers have around 10" of clearance, which is very good.

BTW, I have a '99 Sahara that I ordered with a Dana 44 rear. At the time there were no other suspension mods. The Sahara also came stock with Bilstein gas shocks. The rest of the differences are in the trim and seat coverings.

You cant go wrong with a wrangler, I've had one for the last 15 years and love it. They're fantastic on the beach, you wont regret buying one.

Had an 04 sport. For the extra money they want for the rubicon I say go with an X and if you decide to put lockers on, there are better after market lockers out there. My 04 was bone stock and I took it through every thing, sand, mud, snow. Would have loved to have kept it, but needed a pick up and couldnt have both. Now Im looking for a cherokee. Would get another wrangler, but think the extra room of the cherokee would be better for me. Only cons I found with the wrangler was it wasn't to good on gas, to put and adult in the back was a joke and the cargo area,,, well what cargo area. Rode around with the back seat out most of the time. Also Would get the full doors as the zipper windows get old quick.

I have a base wrangler with the X package and its never let me down on the beach. you dont need a runbicon.

No need for a Rubicon it is overkill. Actually any wrangler is overkill. I had a 1998 wrangler four cylinder se which was just as capable as my 2006 Unlimited. Just buy the one you like.

my '95 Wrangler 4cylinder will go anywhere my '08 unlimited will, if not further.

Go find a used 92-95 and beat it forever!

IMO... Rubicons are not worth the $. You can get a X with the 4.0 and uprgrade as you see fit. The lockers on the Rubi's are known to fail and the Rubi rear 44 is not as strong as a normal 44. The Rubi is a name that some think is cool to have; but you can do just as much with an X and upgrade it the way you want for less $. All in all... Go with what you like... Any Jeep will serve you well on the beach.

KJS

View PostIMO... Rubicons are not worth the $. You can get a X with the 4.0 and uprgrade as you see fit. The lockers on the Rubi's are known to fail and the Rubi rear 44 is not as strong as a normal 44. The Rubi is a name that some think is cool to have; but you can do just as much with an X and upgrade it the way you want for less $. All in all... Go with what you like... Any Jeep will serve you well on the beach.

KJS

Edit...

In no way am i trying to knock the Rubi. It is the best stock vehicle Jeep has ever made coming off the show room floor. I just think you can do more for less $ with aftermarket upgrades. Sorry to the Rubi owners... you do have some great vehicles.

KJS

I have an 07 X now too. It had the stock 235's on it for the first 50k miles. I got a set of 265's to replace them, and it was a world of difference on the sand.

BUT, the 235's did get the job done.

If i could go back in time, i would get the hard-top, and 265's from the get-go.