Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ability

tandem axle trailer with single frozen wheel

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

backed in yesterday no sweat, on the haul out one tire froze on the forward pull. it woiuld turn in reverse but froze again on the forward. Evebtually dragged it 10 feet off the ramp, into the gravel. The brakes are tongue actuated hydrolic. fluid was filled, lubed the actuatuor on the tongue. pulled it again and it freed. towed it acroos the boat yard to her perminent berth.

What's my next step? She stays in the yard so it travels only 100 yards each way.

it is a 4 year old galv trailer, well maintained. I attempted to bleed the line on the frozen hub, but the bleeeder, is salted, shut, i could.nt trelease the drum initially that way, that is why i had to drag her into the gravel so as to open the ramp up to others

need a strategy for this weekend

What you have to find out is if it's the break, or something else.

Because it was only ONE wheel, I would tend to think it might be a bearring or something vs. the break system.

Used to by-pass the break systems in the yard I worked at, because we would tow trailers around with forklifts and tractors, which never had the electrical set-up/computer for the break systems. Forget how to do it, but with the loading ramp being 100 yds from it's PREMINANT birth, I'd just have the mechanic disable the breaking system. Not cut it, just bypass it or something so that it can be re-attached, should you remove it from the yard for some reason.

If it is a drum brake, it is fairly likely one of the keepers inside rusted and broke off, leaving the brake seized against the drum in one direction only. You need to pull the drum. Which can be a real pain in the arse after 4 years.

its definitely the drum that has seized. It eventually released but is still dragging. I'll pull it. the problem is, is that the first startegy was to jack the trailer and pull that whell then pull it on a single tire on that side to the berth. the wheel had a frozen lug nut which now has a spinning lug nut post.

That's salt water for you! I will pull it and check the drum

I agree. If it is a drum brake, one or both shoes are stuck in the engaged position. Bleeding probably won't make a difference. You need to pull the drum and have a look.

Most drum brakes have an adjustment wheel that can be turned through an access hole on the side of the drum facing inward. You need a brake spoon or a screwdriver to loosen that up before you try to pull the drum off. Once you free that up it should pop right off. Good luck with it!

If you have a lug stud spinning. Pull the entire hub and all off.To remove the lug nut. Get yourself a nut splitter and a BFH. If things are as frozen or as rotten as I think they are your going to have remove the hub any way.

Water and metal don't mix. Pull the breaks and toss them in the trash. If your situation changes and you need brakes again you can buy a complete kit cheaper than the amount of components you'll need to buy. If you rebuild it and use it as a yard trailer it'll be jammed again in no time again. Pulling the hub for access is the way to go. Good Luck.

thanks jigger

chop... yup, thats the plan, brakes are great for highway towing and fresh water. It sits in the marina and comes in and out of the salt it never travels more than 100 yards. I am pulling them. If I need to pull ythe trailer on the road I will address that issue later.