Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FoliFish

Deadly lightning..don't be a hero!!

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Hey all. I don't mean to bring you down today, but there was a tragedy we all should learn from. A 10 year old boy in the Indianoplis area was killed by lightning while fishing with his father.

Apparently they were trying to get to their car to get out of the storm when the lightning struck.

I don't have the heart to post the article here. If you google it, you will find a number of different sources. I will warn you that the full article is very difficult to get through without welling up, especially if you are a parent.

"When thunder roars, get indoors" is a phrase that a freind of mine has coined. he was struck by lightning on a Mass. golf course about 14 years ago. He still has serious lingering effects from the strike, and is an advocate for lightning awareness.

Do friends, family and yourself a favor and adhere to this motto. Don't pretend to be a metiorologist predicting the path of a thunderstorm. Get out of the elements early.

Again, I apologize for being a downer, but this young boys death should serve as a warning to everyone that you cannot predict mother nature.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family of this young boy, especially his father.

As someone who has felt static shocks through his fishing rod and had his hair stand up from thunderstorms that were miles away.......don't mess with lightning. It can strike miles from it's cloud source. Live to fish another day. - HPD

View PostAs someone who has felt static shocks through his fishing rod and had his hair stand up from thunderstorms that were miles away.......don't mess with lightning. It can strike miles from it's cloud source. Live to fish another day. - HPD

A few years back I had the same thing happen to me. My rod became charged to the point where it was painful to hold! I threw the rod on the ground and literally sprinted to my truck. cwm31.gifcwm31.gif

All this happened under a dark, overcast sky with no thunder heard and only flashes of lightning far, far in the distance.

Since then I don't screw around. When I hear thunder or see lightning I put the rods away and am sitting in the Jeep, or heading home.

what a shame god bless that little boy. my heart goes out to his family.

i was struck twice in my life once when i was young tying my surf boards on-top of my auto while on the top of this auto this is when caars were made of thick metalbiggrin.gif a ford station wagon 7 long boards in and on this auto. while in a terrible lighting storm it actually blew me off the car . i was in shock for about 20 minutes or more it took a few brews to get me going again. the second time on the beach it hit real close and the heat from the lighting with wind knocked me back a few feet and all i heard was alot of static electricity my body tingled for a while. i dropped my rod and ran to my 4 by 4. now when i see lighting i leave the beach.

I've been hit once directly, and once it hit the boat I was on. Both were scary. One hit my friends house while I was watching the lightning storm from his window, and it got into the wall power, then came out and found ME. Threw me 10 ft across the room and destroyed the sheetrock wall. No easy task picking up and throwing a 250 lb fellow, nor easy to stop it.

On the boat, it was grounded, with a 4/0 gauge wire running from the lightning rod through the lower cabin, to a plate on the bottom of the boat. went relatively safely through it's path, but it blew the cabinets off the wall, and burnt the wire real bad.

It is not a good experience, especially when you don't live to talk about it. My sincerest condolances go out to the father and the boy's family.

P.s.- Doesn't have to even be during a lightning storm, just enough charged energy. one day maybe 4 years ago in IBSP, 90 degree day, middle of august, hundreds of pwople on the beach, not a SINGLE CLOUD as far as the eye could see. A 17 yr old boy was playing football with his friend or father(can't remember exactly) Hot regular day, no storm, ONE bolt came down and killed this kid instantly. Never heard any storm activity. Wasn't a single drop of rain felt for at LEAST 24 hrs either side of when this happened.

Note to self.. don't fish with Lockboxwink.gif

On a serious note though, I also know a guy who was hit twice jetty fishing S. Jersey. First time hit he staggered home. The second time he woke up on the rocks with the sun coming up.

View PostNote to self.. don't fish with Lockboxwink.gif

On a serious note though, I also know a guy who was hit twice jetty fishing S. Jersey. First time hit he staggered home. The second time he woke up on the rocks with the sun coming up.

That makes wearing SOSpenders\\automatic PFD sound like a great idea.

It's frightening to hear how coomon lightning strikes are cwm31.gif

I have stuck around and fished during storms ,not to bright kooky.gif

After the last few weeks thunder storms ripping thru south shore I'm afraid to leave the house redface.gif .. That storm last nite was brutal..

it happened to me in ri last year storm was over ct headed east tward me i was at the hill and kept hearing a clicking noise and was like?!?!? then kept fishing for another half hour then heard it again and saw something off the tip of my rod so i went to check it out and it was a little .5" blue spark well needless to say i was beating feet fast.

Jae, yeah that is a streamer. When there is enough static electricity in the air, it shoots streamers up. And the clouds shoot down Step-Leaders. If the Step Leader can find a strong enough streamer, lightning bolt.

They used to find it coming off a LOT of boat stantion-rails back in the day, and that was called St. Elmo's Fire.

Pretty cool phenomina. For any one lightning bolt, there may be hundreds of streamers, and lightning may or may not choose the one nearest you.

This also does not ALWAYS happen, as if the air is charged enough, it doesn't need to find a streamer, it can find anything.

Chances are the streamer-lightning bolts are not as bad, and likely the one that people live to tell stories about because there was not enough voltage, or amperage. By no means am I an expert on it, but I was taught a little bit. As an example, you can think of it as a spark plug. A Spark plug shoots an electrical bolt that is ROUGHLY 50,000 volts, but like 1/1000000th of an amp. If you ever checked your plugs with a screw driver and let go JUST at the time it sparked, you know you feel a tingle, but no real damage. Voltage does not affect humans, unless amperage is involved. The higher the voltage(imbalance of - and + ions in the air, or charge) the easier it is to jump. The lower the amperage the, less deadly the strike. When you have storms that have like 5 bolts of lightning, there isn't a HUGE imbalance in ions, usually resulting in less powerful(lower amperage) bolts.

Just a little info for anyone who wants to read about it. BTW, a lightning bolt can be MANY MILLIONS of Volts.