Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phil

Stripers in the Passaic or Hackensack?

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Anyone know if schoolies make a left turn as they head toward the Hudson and end up in either the Passaic or Hackensack tidal portions of the river. I've heard rumors. I was wondering if anyone up north ever tried fishing the area?

I've heard rumors too Phil. There's a sport shop in Garfield where info can be had. The name escapes me. Its being called the best kept secret in the region. They say that the water is ugly but alive with fish. 2 generations of anglers haven't fished these areas because they became inhabitable for fish in the 50s. Since the cleanup of the environment they've come back - just like the Hudson. Its Stripers, shad and muskies, I understand, below the last dam is one hot spot. Also there are Northerns in the Passaic up my way and I want to go looking for them where the Whippany, Passaic and Rockaway RIvers meet. They've been caught up to 15#s. There is very little shore access as all the surrounding land is flood plane and marshy. Also The Peace Valley looks good too. I believe access to the Hackensack is difficult and a boat or kayak may be the way to go. I'm seriously considering a saltwater trolling motor to pursue/check it out. These are fish that are basically not being fished for.

JonS, I think your talking about Meltzers. I live in Lodi, and thats the only place around here. There used to be the Tackle box, which closed down several months ago crying.gif

------------------

Ismail G.

_________

<*))\\\\\\><

^^^^^^^^^^