Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Hairy Beast

Palin Vs Letterman

Rate this topic

295 posts in this topic

I'd say Letterman's in a bit of a bind; since his tastless crack abut Palin and her daughter Conan's rating freefall has reversed itself and O'Brian took the lead for the first time.

Also, I'm glad the Palin family is starting to defend themselves a bit. This is their initial statement:

"Concerning Letterman's comments about my young daughter (and I doubt he'd ever dare make such comments about anyone else's daughter): 'Laughter incited by sexually-perverted comments made by a 62-year-old male celebrity aimed at a 14-year-old girl is not only disgusting, but it reminds us some Hollywood/NY entertainers have a long way to go in understanding what the rest of America understands - that acceptance of inappropriate sexual comments about an underage girl, who could be anyone's daughter, contributes to the atrociously high rate of sexual exploitation of minors by older men who use and abuse others.' "

Todd Palin added: "Any 'jokes' about raping my 14-year-old are despicable. Alaskans know it and I believe the rest of the world knows it, too."

Letterman responded last night claiming the joke was aimed at Bristol, as if that helps much.

"These are not jokes made about her 14-year-old daughter. I would never, never make jokes about raping or having sex of any description with a 14-year-old girl.... Am I guilty of poor taste? Yes. Did I suggest that it was okay for her 14-year-old daughter to be having promiscuous sex? No."

Letterman also invited the Alaska governor to come on his

show

The Palins commented today:

"The Palins have no intention of providing a ratings boost for David Letterman by appearing on his show," Stapelton said in an email to ABC News.
"Plus, it would be wise to keep Willow away from David Letterman.
"

Ouch!

During his Monday night monologue, Letterman cracked that the Alaska governor suffered an awkward moment while attending a recent Yankees game: "During the seventh inning, her daughter was knocked up by Alex Rodriguez."

View Postwhat was the text of the joke? i haven't heard it

The jokes are in this story, but don't look for them CBS's transcript - they edited both jokes out.

Letterman comments on Palin stirring comments

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

06/10/2009

Blogs are on fire over David Letterman comments on CBS' "Late Show" on Monday night about Sarah Palin, the Republican Governor of Alaska who ran for vice president last year.

Letterman devoted his top ten list to her visit to New York and included this:
"Bought makeup from Bloomingdale's to update her 'slutty flight attendant' look."

He also made a comment in his opening monologue that CBS censored:
"One awkward moment for Sarah Palin at the Yankee game, during the seventh inning, her daughter was knocked-up by Alex Rodriguez."

The daughter who attended the Yankees game was Willow Palin, 14.

The remark was aired live, but CBS removed it from the transcript it makes available to media, including the New York Times, which publishes Letterman's opening monologue on its blog site.

Letterman's remarks are being called sexist and insensitive. Conservatives believe the media has a double standard that works against Palin. As one posted on Conservatives4Palin.com, "As we've learned from the election last year, the rules are different for a pro-life, pro-Second Amendment conservative woman."

The Times was accused of taking out the reference as part of the liberal media's effort to protect those who criticize conservatives.

The Times was asked so times why it omitted the remark that it responded in the comment section: "The transcript we received omitted the joke referred to in the comments below, presumably for reasons of taste. Had the transcript included the joke, we would not have run it. Monologue jokes are routinely edited for taste and brevity."

View Posthe probably intended to refer to Bristol; but man, not a good joke.

I believe he said he was joking about Bristol, not Willow. Even still, it's questionable taste, but it's also nothing worth getting one's panties in a bunch over.

The remark was aired live, but CBS removed it from the transcript it makes available to media, including the New York Times, which publishes Letterman's opening monologue on its blog site.

See that's BS. The show is taped at 6 pm and rebroadcast later.

View PostI believe he said he was joking about Bristol, not Willow. Even still, it's questionable taste, but it's also nothing worth getting one's panties in a bunch over.

Bristol was not there, the 14 year old was there.

View PostI believe he said he was joking about Bristol, not Willow. Even still, it's questionable taste, but it's also nothing worth getting one's panties in a bunch over.

Of course not - what woman would mind being called a ****? And after all, Palin's daughters (who aren't running for any elective office) should be used to cracks about their sexuality by now. They are the children of Republicans - what do they expect?

Why would Palin be upset? Frankly, my mind's a total blank.

View PostBristol was not there, the 14 year old was there.

Yes. Letterman was mistaken, and I doubt he makes the same joke if he thought it was the 14 year old. It's rather clear that he was talking about Bristol as the joke was about pregnancy.

View PostPalins pretty thin skinned

I dare you to go to someone you know who has an attractive wife and daughters and make the same joke about them and see what kind of response you get.

I suggest you pick a family where dad's about 120 pounds and preferably in a wheelchair.

Anyone who lets their unwed-mom/daughter go on the cover of People magazine & say that "if girls realized the consquences of sex, nobody would be having sex" put the bullseye on their own daughter's back.

More evidence of Sarah Palin's "intelligence"cwm27.gif

Kids have been having sex forever, & will continue to do so.

View PostOf course not - what woman would mind being called a ****? And after all, Palin's daughters (who aren't running for any elective office) should be used to cracks about their sexuality by now. They are the children of Republicans - what do they expect?

Why would Palin be upset? Frankly, my mind's a total blank.

I could have sworn I saw Bristol Palin on the cover of a magazine recently. I think she did some late night TV as well. As such, she's game in my opinion.

And did Letterman call Palin a ****? Really? This is just more partisan bedwetting and issue creation to me. It just upsets Team Republican when one of their Idols gets mocked.

View PostYes. Letterman was mistaken, and I doubt he makes the same joke if he thought it was the 14 year old. It's rather clear that he was talking about Bristol as the joke was about pregnancy.

It's not clear at all. And frankly, when you make sex cracks about teenage girls you deserve what you get. What is it about the environment in the entertainment media that causes Letterman and his writers to feel that making these kinds of "jokes" isn't playing with dynamite? The Palin family has drawn a line and I applaud them for it. This abuse has gone on long enough.