Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huntersaurous

1999 Yamaha 4 stroke 50 HP outboard ***Australia***

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am considering purchasing a used 1999 Yamaha 4 stroke 50 HP outboard with 364 hours on it. I dont know alot about Yamaha's or 4 strokes as far as reliability goes.

Has anyone had one that can tell me anything positive or negative about it?

I have heard that 4 stroke engines are good for upto 5000 hours, any truth to this? Anyone got one that has that many on it?

Does anyone know if the 99 era of 4 strokes had any problems in relation to beinfg carburated as now they have EFI?

Any comments will be appreciated,

Thanks,

Huntersaurous South Australia

Honestly, the simpler the better IMO with outboards. I hate 4-strokes, as the 2-stroke was GREAT. It had better take-off speed, it was VERY simple, never having to worry about changing oil. If you have an onboard tank, made it even easier, never having to pre-mix your oil.

As to the yami's, they are great engines. I know plenty of people using 2-stroke models from the late 80's to early 90's, with well over 3,000 hrs, running as strong as the day they were built. I have NEVER heard of a problem with any yamaha's, and would not doubt that 5k hours is easily attainable. 350 hrs on that motor I would call barely broken in.

I've got a 2000 Yamaha 50 4 stroke and it has been a great motor. Have had one issue with the tiny jets in the carbs getting blocked by something even with a racor 10 micron filter but I like it. Definitely does not have the hole shot that the 2 stroke does but top end it's the same. Just takes a few more seconds to get there. Barely burns any gas.