Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lumo

Top Water Tuna Blank Recommendation?

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

The intended reel would be a Stella 18000 SW, 65 pound braid, 2-4 ounce top water lures (spooks and poppers) 100#-130# bluefin tuna, would like it to cast far, but still have the back bone needed. A little length would be nice for maneuvering around the boat, 7-7.5 ft. maybe?

One off the shelf rod that came highly recommended was a 7 ft. Van Staal jigging stick rated 50# to 100#, and 325 gram lures. Anyone know about the blanks they are using?

Anyway this would be a gift for a charter captain that happens to be a very generous friend, one who introduced me to this type of fishing yeterday, and unfortunately we were undergunned. An hour and 45 minutes of carefully battling an approx. 130# fish, then 50 minutes on a 150#, and finally 5 minutes on a 200# plus left me feeling like building a more appropriate arsenal. I have zero experience with boat rods so any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks

PRoblem with the fishing up there is you're going to have to make a compromise one way or another - most rods that will cast 2-4oz efectively will not be able to fish with 30#'s of drag, and rods that can be fished with 30#'s of drag will not toss 2-4oz lures.

REgarding the VS/Cosmotech 50-100#, I've built on the 40-80# rod and that one will not cast 2oz very well at all, I'm going to assume the 50-100# blank will be even worse.

The blanks Seeker is making for me should be perfect for this type of fishing. IT's a COmposite graphite/glass which has a light enough tip to fire out 2-4oz with a big spinner, but enough backbone to not bottom out when fishing 25#'s of drag. The blank is 7'4". I just shipped one to someone in CT who builds a lot of these rods, and had another person here yesterday who spent some time bending it.

While many people associate Seekers with heavy walls, thick butts, and heavy weights - they designed the Hercules for me to compete with teh graphite blanks which many people are afraid to use due to the possibility of breakage. The blank weight at 7'4 is 7.2oz, .800 butt and a 9 tip. It's rated 40-80# with a max drag rating of 25#'s, but it will still be fine at 30#'s, spinning lure rating is 2-6/8oz, and for conventional vertical jigging 4-16oz.

Billy, I'm very interested in the Hercules blank. My lady friend lives in Mystic, CT, if thats close to where you're sending those blanks and that person would let me check 'em out.

Thanks Again!