Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OSHnjoe

Do the crabs feed at night?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

The crabs

The last couple of Sundays we've been drowning clams down at IBSP. What's been happening is that our clams are being striped from our hooks a blazing speed. I've tried putting the clams in mesh, through the hook and securely tying the assembly together. We've also used the stretch string around the bait after we fed the bait up onto the 5/0 circle hooks as if we were using bloods.

None of this has worked.confused.gif

The crabs have torn holes right through the mesh, and striped the baits no matter what we do. At times the bait is gone within minutes

I was just recently told that crabs DO NOT feed at night in the surf

My question is:

Is there any truth to this?

I've caught crabs at night and guys fish for crabs at night with flashlights around docks and inlets so they are active.

I don't see why they wouldn't feed in the cover of darkness.

If you ever down at the beach at dusk and throw on a mask you would see an army of spider crabs coming out of the jetty. Yeah crabs definitely feed at night.

If you are fishing open beach in IBSP, it is a 99% chance it is a calico crab. Considering that Striped bass find these crabs ABSOLUTE DELECTABLE, move.

Crab do feed at night, but ANY time I have had my bait stolen repeatedly, I have never caught a fish. Other than schoolies, I would assume most bass would make SHORT work of these crabs, meaning if it is that dense with crab, move a few holes down/up the beach. If I move more than a mile either way from my original spot, I pack it in.

And if there are that many crabs to strip you so quick(live/fresh clams I hope) there is a major shortage of fish in the area IMO.