Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jpon2

No luck with diamond jig

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

I have been using diamond jig casting from the beach for a while now without any luck. I have tried different sizes and varied the retrieve from very slow to very fast. I have walked along the beach trying to cover as much ground as possible. So far no luck. Do you guys have any advice on how to use the diamond jig for surf casting so I have a chance to catch SOMETHING? Also, what are your feeling on tail v. no tail. So far, I am just having fun practicing casting but I would be nice to get a strike once in a while.

Not to steer you in another direction but maybe you should switch to a different tin like a hopkins or kastmaster. Diamond jigs are really designed to be worked more vertically rather then at an angle and loose some of their effectiveness off a beach. The others mentioned cast just as well and are designed more for cast and retrieve as oppose to yo-yoing which is what's recomended with diamond jigs. JMO

For that matter, try plugs and poppers too. They cast great as well.

You can also try a bucktail with/without a pork rind at the end.cwm40.gif Poppers and spoons are great too... If one doesn't work move to the other. Variety is the spice of life.

ummmm......Diamond Jig is a JIG.

(It imitates an emerging Sand Eel)

You can cast 'em at a blitzing pod of Bluefish

(but you can cast ANYTHING at a blitzing pod of Bluefish!)

Kastmaster/Hopkins/Krocodile are tins/spoons.

Each has it's own action.

My favorite is the Krocodile, which has a nice, wide, sexy wiggle, like a Bunker Spoon.

Krocodile must be worked S-L-O-W or it spins! (Slow=Deep)

Kastmaster is the fastest. Bluefish like it so much, I always use a wire leader!

Hopkins? I will let A.J. tell you about "whipping" a Hopkins!

(Many pro's insist this is their favorite tin!)

A Bucktail, dressed properly, will outfish 'em all.

Remember, Stripers hang out near the bottom .....

"Low and Slow" is the way to go!

AMMO

View Post

A Bucktail, dressed properly, will outfish 'em all.

Remember, Stripers hang out near the bottom .....

"Low and Slow" is the way to go!

AMMO

Is that with or without 4" red pumps?biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Could be the fish just aren't where you are? A diamond jig has been around for a very long time and can be used as stated vertically or at any other angle, casted or trolled. The diamond gets down when other tins will flutter.

Profile, current, predominant bait, water depth, and wind conditions all come into play with their use, and weight selection. When Blues are around a diamond will survive and a Bucktail will need to join the hair club for jigs, and they will catch Bass.

Don't give up on the proven Diamond Jig. There is a time and place for all lures, and they all don't work 100% of the time, but percentage wise the diamond does better then most, in alot of different conditions.

Stevesmile.gif

i would try a 3-4z with either bucktail dressed hook or plastic wormtail in either white or flo green and rather than a straight retrive try ripping the rod upwards and letting the jig flutter down reel in the slack and repeat most of your strikes will be on the flutter down