Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
big jim

There's a First Time for Everything: Broken Ugly Stick!

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I purchased my first Shakespeare Ugly Stick back in the 70s when they first hit the market. Of the dozens of fishing rods that I have purchased since then and that my sons have purchased in the past 4 or 5 years, at least fourteen were Ugly Sticks. This is the first one EVER to actually break! It's a two piece, 11 foot MH salt water spinning rod, the BWS1100.

We were in touch with the plant via e mail in Columbia, SC, and received word that it is required that we ship the old rod back to them as well as the dated proof of purchase and a check or money order for $6.50 to pay for the postage and handling on the replacement rod. It's going in the US mail tommorrow. We'll keep you posted!

smile.gif bj

I bought my first ugly stick about then too! They advertised that you could touch the tip to the butt without breaking. So I did that in the store. Figured heck, wasn't going to buy it if it didn't perform as advertised. They also advertised something about strands of Boron in the rod to deliver sensitivity. Don't see that nowadays, must be too expensive or some other reason. Good luck with your new rod. How the heck did ya manage to save the receipt after all these years?

A big fish did it, right?

Naw.

My youngest son was using this one when it happenned. He was chunking out on Plum Island in the fast water of the river during a dropping tide. It was during one of these latest extreme moon tides we had in July. It's a two piece and it broke right at the ferrule during a cast. I've got to wonder if between the lead and the bait if he was using too much weight for the rod.

bj

How the heck did ya manage to save the receipt after all these years?

At the time we bought the rod, we bought a reel to go with it. The receipt for both was saved in the reel carton in our tackle closet! Certainly more luck than planning!

wink.gif bj

Last year in September, I was casting a 9' ugly stick surf rod. Down the jetty I saw a ton of baitfish break the surface, and hurried to cast a lure (2 to 3 oz.) at the swirl. As I cast the top part of the blank slipped and started to come off, it must have happened right in the middle of the cast, because where the joint of the rods were, it shattered the joint at the lower part of the blank. That was the first ugly stick I broke. It took them a couple of weeks to replace, but it was hassle free, $6.50.

Side note...Tsunami replaced a 9' w/ a 10' foot after I complained about there lure weight rating. Tsunmai took less than a week to replace it.

I've got to wonder if between the lead and the bait if he was using too much weight for the rod.

bj

How much you figger he was tossing? That rod is rated to 8oz and can throw more than that.

In the mid 80's while shopping for a boat rod in a mall I came across an Ugly Stick disply with a life size cardboard cut out of Hulk Hogan holding a rod that was tied in a knot. The ad said something like its the only rod you can do this with. Having seen the ads on TV I was familiar, so I picked up a rod from the display rack, snapped the top quarter of the rod off, put it back on the rack and walked out of the store.

Since then I have had a few ugly sticks & have not had one break yet. The few I have seen break

have been due to too much weight.

I've got to wonder if between the lead and the bait if he was using too much weight for the rod.

bj

How much you figger he was tossing? That rod is rated to 8oz and can throw more than that.

I think they were tossin' eight oz. plus a pogie head, so probably around 12 oz.