Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianM38

Whats your level of safety

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I had a conversation with somebody about what people are doing and what we have seen to keep surfcasters safe while doing what we do. Some guys are more hardcore than others. Im just curious what do you do? WHat safety gear and do you ever try to push yourself a little more that might put you in harms way or above your level.

I'll happily stand on the end of a pile of slimy rocks while waves break over the end, occasionally knocking me around. But I couldn't let go of the ladder today while trying to work from staging 30 feet off the ground.cwm31.gif

View PostI'll happily stand on the end of a pile of slimy rocks while waves break over the end, occasionally knocking me around. But I couldn't let go of the ladder today while trying to work from staging 30 feet off the ground.cwm31.gif

Wuss.

View PostI had a conversation with somebody about what people are doing and what we have seen to keep surfcasters safe while doing what we do. Some guys are more hardcore than others. Im just curious what do you do? WHat safety gear and do you ever try to push yourself a little more that might put you in harms way or above your level.

Usually i try to be very aware and watch every wave that comes through when i'm on tip of jetty.... Pay attention to tide and current as well!!! And make sure you "You know how to swim"..... We are at the mercy of mother nature and she should be respected!!!wink.gif

cwm31.gifit was one of those "painter's" stretchy planks that you can see through and is kinda wiggly.cwm31.gif

.....But I'm definitely turning into a Fraidy Cat.wink.gif

To get back on subject, I bought a SOSpenders thingy shortly after we lost Ken Schwamm (10x10). Wore it that year.

It's ben hanging in my fishing room since redface.gif

And yeah, I usta have a bad habit of going one step to far. Took a few rides.

I'm much more careful now. But I should wear the damn thing anyway.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...t=Thanksgiving

How do you wear SOSpenders and hang a plugbag over your shoulder? I inflated mine manually and it got large. I'm afraid the inflated vest and a bag strap might just choke me before I was even very wet.

This is a serious question, I haven't worn it because I figure if it pops automatically, at the very least, it will rip the strap off my bag and all my plugs will end up in a hole in the rocks where I can see them but there is no way of getting them back.

my level of safety is pretty low. i also do not venture out where i know i am unsafe. most of the places i fish are jetties that have a dry flat top and the beach where i only go into the water when the weather is nice and water warm.

i don't have waders or korkers or pfd's or anything. i know safety is first and foremost but a lot of these things are a bit out of the price range for me. especially since i have to buy double of everything. so what i am trying to do is get my younger brother equiped with all the right gear. than i'll be able to worry about myself.

so for now we stick to areas we know we are relatively safe. probably the reason we don't catch but it's all we can do at the moment.

Had shoulder surgery in March due to falling off a ladder, got washed off some rocks in the surf last week. I'm more careful around the house now, but not much on the water.

Level of safety starts with the thing between your ears. Understanding your surroundings and your physical abilities. If you understand what you may have to do when something goes wrong you can avoid taking that one step too many.

Winch. I am one of the most aware people you will find. I have been surfing since I was like 3, and swimming since I was 4 months old. I have more respect for the powers of mother nature, more notably the sea, than most. I have never taken one step too many, generally 3-4. Luckily I keep my head on straight when in a bad situation, and always make it out OK.

I ditch my waders when the water hits 40, and I'll still go in up to my shoulders.

If there are fish out of my reach, I will likely swim out there, and fish, even if I have to tread to keep my head above water.

I just go well beyond where I should. But, you are certainly correct, and you should always be aware of what's going on around you. Being aware of what may happen will inevitably help you keep your head on straight when something does(and it will) happen. The largest problems in any bad situation caused by nature, is panicking. Panic, and it's all over.

Surf fishing and jetty fishing is just something I do to kill time when I can't get out on the boat. I don't go nuts. I'll walk the beach with just one lure, and if I lose it or don't get any hits within an hour, I'm done. And if I'm bait fishing, I'll only bring like 3-4 fresh clams and when they're gone, I'm done. There's no way I'm risking my life for a striped bass.

View PostLevel of safety starts with the thing between your ears. Understanding your surroundings and your physical abilities. If you understand what you may have to do when something goes wrong you can avoid taking that one step too many.

You beat me to it, nice post Winch.