Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
boscoebrea

Party Boats.

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I have a question about party boats ,do you think they do harm to the striped bass fishery?I know poachers and delta pumps properly cause more harm,I guess I want to feel better towards the party boats and do they promote catch and release?

About 3-4 summers ago I used to watch different party boats back into one of my spots in the surf, almost directly in front of me on the beach and all 20 guys drop their line into the water. At the time I was only impressed at how risky it looked backing up into the breakers and thinking positively that there must be lotsa fish there if the party boats are doing this.

Later thinking about it, boat after boat, and who knows how many more boats I didn't see, my success rate has fallen off quiet a bit. As today stands, it still has not recovered.

Even from my home I noticed them systematically working the coast line, from one spot to the next all in the same way.

Afterwords I felt kind of rotten because I thought they might have used me to zero in on a productive piece of surf water. Fishing never seemed very productive after that and it still doesn't.

Party boats DO NOT promote catch and realease.

They want to put limits in the box so they can go back to the dock and have a good write up in the reports.

View PostParty boats DO NOT promote catch and realease.

They want to put limits in the box so they can go back to the dock and have a good write up in the reports.

If they can fill a boat quickly they will do a second trip if possible. 15 years ago they wiped out the fishing in Pacifica. They found the big spawners and systematically cleaned each area out. They are a plague. Last year when they were on the fish piled in the lower bay they were doing twice daily trips. The trash bin behind the dock was filled with thousands of striper racks. It was horrible site.

View PostIf they can fill a boat quickly they will do a second trip if possible. 15 years ago they wiped out the fishing in Pacifica. They found the big spawners and systematically cleaned each area out. They are a plague. Last year when they were on the fish piled in the lower bay they were doing twice daily trips. The trash bin behind the dock was filled with thousands of striper racks. It was horrible site.

Sad to say, but the bay thing is already to happening, this sucks, watch the fish counts on Thursday on SFgate and you tell me if it is a problem. mad.gif

BTW Winch, Shannon said your avatar kicks ass. wink.gif

Yea it's a problem, but don't blame the boats - they are just following the rules. Two fish @ 18" is sorta a joke. Have those fish even had a chance to spawn yet?

Change the regs and stop the water pumping. beatin.gif

There wasn't a problem with the fishery before the pumps. It's never recovered. Party boats don't do anywhere near as much damage as the government.

If you're into catch and release fine, some fisherman eat fish and that's fine, as long as it's within the law. Part of the problem is our fishery management stinks, they create more problems than they fix, it's always hindsight with those idiots. They react, instead of being proactive, they wait till a spices is destroyed before lowering limits. It's not an important part of the economy like in Alaska where the fishery management is tops. Here it's just a government payoff to some loser for their support.

You can look at how first the government water rights destroyed the deltas fishery and the last few years destroyed the salmon fishery. The destruction wasn't done by fishermen, it was the government and water commission that's destroyed the fishing.

I agree with Fred about the pumps, but the party boats don't help.

I used to fish on the Huck Finn when Art was captain and Jay was a deckhand - many years ago. We would make the run and back into the surf and chum with net fulls of live chovies. Its a very effective way to get stripers going and it was tyically easy limits. I am not sure how many boats can actually do the same thing right now because the original Huck Finn had the screw in the middle (jack shaft?) and most of the boats now have stern screws that dig into the sand when the bow goes up if they aren't carefull...or at least thats what I heard.

Being a plug chucker now, I don't like the boats backing into the surf, but I understand how they do it because of business.

Ehunter, I wouldn't worry about feeling guilty. It wasn't you who set them off. Those guys fished every day and shared info so they had a good idea of where to start. Throwing chovies into the water just sealed the deal with the fish coming to them. We would back into beaches without fishermen and the fish would come.

One of the other money bites I fished was the steelhead/salmon stocking tube in Rodeo. We would fish a fairly wide area until the DFG truck came to drop their fish load into the stocking tube. Once that was done, Art would motor over to the end of the tube and call out the black mass of stripers as they made their way to the drop zone of drugged smolts. What a massacre that was. As soon as the smolt would hit the water, there would be a rise and it would be gone. I can't believe that many smolts made it through that.

I think stricter limits are the way to go, but that will also hurt the party boat business...at least temporarilty. Maybe down the road people would settle for a single fish???

i still say that water or the lack of it remains to be the biggest culprit. But winch does bring up a good point the partyboats fished themselves out of a job what with the dumping of their remaining bait to keep a school in an area after they limited out so the next PB could come in and clean up. Another favorite technique they like to use was wait for a beach run to form and then come close to shore and use live bait to lure the school away and then decimate them and repeat the above process. This cause a war between the surfcasters and the PB ers, armed with 11' surfsticks and newell reel penn squidders etc and a 3.5z-4-miki jig the surfcasters could place a miki amongst the boat the deckhand tossing out chum was a favorite target often breaking windows on the boat and pulling rods out of customer's hands when we snagged their lines another fav of the surfcaster was a 5-6z torpedo sinker with 1-2 treble hooks did i say ouch many times when the PB would come close to shore the surfcaster would ignore the bass and toss jigs at the boats ohh what fun that was sadly to say the dfg said this had to come to a stop and a truce was established with ground rules to ensure passenger safety....once again just when you find a good sport somebody has to come and spoil the fun still got a rod/reel combo on the wall in the garage from a good day during those fun filled days...OH YES i forgot the partyboats actually do promote catch gaff and release so i think you're wrong on that one..."INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!"highfive.gifhighfive.gifhighfive.gifhighfive.gifhighfive.gif

slot limits would be a good idea.

but with the lack of resources and $$, enforcing anything is difficult. thats not to say that the majority of people that fish don't follow rules and regs, but there is a good amount that dont which is one of the black eyes of what we do.

Take it from an ex part time mate. It depends on the past week take or passengers. Several boat captains will booked their vessel for charter during the past week and made a successfull week they have the tendency to not give out their best locations.This is based on the same time of the previous year. They will take you where you can catch fish but not the nice stripers that you expect but may be kingfish or perch. Now if bookings are slow they want to drum up business. You might be in for your best fishing experiences. Normally 12k a week is the average norm, well back then anyway for a popular vessel during the peak season. In my journeys I liked to go out for rockfish when the heading was Cordell Banks in the winter time. Rough but if you keep together you can return with a 90-100 lb sack of rockfish like red snapper, yellowfin rockfish,rock cod, vermillion, capazone and the main prize Linkcod.

>>>This cause a war between the surfcasters and the PB ers, armed with 11' surfsticks and newell reel penn squidders etc and a 3.5z-4-miki jig the surfcasters could place a miki amongst the boat the deckhand tossing out chum was a favorite target

One has to be completely nuts to do this as one knock on the head with one of those lures can easily kill a person. Long on guts and short on brains is no way to go through life...

View Post>>>This cause a war between the surfcasters and the PB ers, armed with 11' surfsticks and newell reel penn squidders etc and a 3.5z-4-miki jig the surfcasters could place a miki amongst the boat the deckhand tossing out chum was a favorite target

One has to be completely nuts to do this as one knock on the head with one of those lures can easily kill a person. Long on guts and short on brains is no way to go through life...

So your just now figuring it out that we might be little touched?headscratch.gifcwm12.gif

Well keep your boat off my beach and I won't accidentally crown you with a piece of lead.

If your crazy enough to back a boat into a barrage of lead being tossed to breaking fish it's your fault for getting clobbered not the guy tossin a mickie into the surf. Kind of like walking in front of a golfer hitting off a tee or walking in front of a speeding train. If your stupid enough you deserve to get hit. (Of course accidentally, right Ray?wink.gif)

View PostYea it's a problem, but don't blame the boats - they are just following the rules. Two fish @ 18" is sorta a joke. Have those fish even had a chance to spawn yet?

Change the regs and stop the water pumping. beatin.gif

Scoobe...They follow the rules...Like Jim Smith jr on i believe is Calif Dawn.Last year Pushing his boat right over people in smaller boats...And when yelled at. said back "hey we run this bay".They were keying in on the salmon smolts being released & the bass were right in with them..They don't want C/R as that would slow them down on a return trip...And if a few fisherman can't get a limit, then everyone will fill their limit..Can't do that on the beach, as that fish counts against the catcher & recipient..Remember that guys...Don't think you can give away 3 fish to friends, cause the man will ticket you if he's watching..Anyway those few schools of bass were wiped out

Also, years back when you couldn't chum, the party boats just flushed them down the boat toilet.. So much for honesty...Jim mad.gifmad.gif