Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maverick1

cold fronts and stripers

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

like hunting big bucks, your odds are better when the pressure starts dropping before the front comes in. The critters are programmed to chew good then ....smile.gif

I can think of countless cold fronts where the fishing has been excellent. Especially gotta love the backdoor cold fronts that bring NE, especially along the jetties.

View Postive heard that cold fronts tend to hurt the striper fishing off the jetti... any truth to this??

Just the opposite, in my experience. As the pressure drops, they eat more.

Just the opposite, in my experience. As the pressure drops, they eat more.

i would have to agree..i love when the fronts come in,water is ruff,time to break out the 3-6 oz bucktails..damn i love the jetties...

"Cold Fronts" usually have an area of high pressure behind them which has a clockwise rotation, and causes the winds to be from first the northeast as the front approaches, then the north, and then the north west, and thus the front being "cold"....fishing before the front moves thru is usually a time of lower pressure.....once the front passes, the barometer is usually on the rise....

For what that is worth..........

With freshwater fishing, I've noticed that dropping pressure puts fish on the feed. In salt water, I don't thing fronts have any real effect. With tides and many other factors involved I think dropping or rising pressure means little to salt water fish. Some will say that a certain stage of a front is great, but if they mostly fish then, that's when they'll catch fish, you know, a self-fullfilling prophecy.