Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kissmybass45

Ahab 16 Spinning Review

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about buying one of the ahab spinning reels , the model is the 16. Anyone know anything about these reels and would you recommend them.my thanksin advance to anyone that has any advice , john

What are planning to use it for? Bait, big lures, small lures?

In a nutshell, they are sturdy reels that are very heavy for their size and in my experience not very braid friendly.

My wife got me an Ahab 16 for Christmas two years ago.

I spooled it with 40# Stren Superbraid.

I had 3 major tangles in 5 casts cwm13.gif

It effing HATES braid. beatin.gif

Ditch,

That braid is way too thin. I found with my 8a, if I went with 50# powerpro, the tangles went away. Anything thinner and it was wind knot city. For the 16, you may want to go even heavier. Or just get a better reel for braid...

I have one that's 12 yrs old it weighs 31.0 oz. and it built like a tank solid and trust worthy it still has all of the original parts it's never needed anything but regular maintanince I use 65# PP I use it for plugging,eels on the beach and bucktails.

O after 10 yrs I smartened up and shaved the bail off due to loss of pluggagekooky.gif

Don't have the 16 but have had a 12 for years and love it. Use it along Hatteras Island for throwing metal and some plugs. Strong, dependable, no problems (knock on wood), easy to work on. I can say nothing but good things about the Ahab line.

I picked one up at the RISAA show this year and have it spooled w/ 65lb powerpro. I have used it a few time to throw plugs and had no wind not or bail closure issues. It is however very heavy and will wear on you after a while. I now plan to throw it on a 9' rod and strictly use it to throw live or rigged eels.