Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spiegs71

Fishing with 4yo

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good place to take a 4 yo to fish a little bait on a Saturday morning. Not looking to spot burn per se (not looking for a honey hole or a little known location) looking for a dock or pier to fish from. Have a place or two in mind but was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion to offer.

I don't have any Suffolk Cty park or beach passes and my license and car registration still has me as an RI resident redface.gif so would prefer a place that's not in a park or place I'd have to pay to park if at all possible.

I'm on the N. shore by Smithtown - so anywhere up that way or S Shore in the Patchogue area would be ideal.

Thanks - Ed

hmmm, I was going to say fresh water with a 4 yo. there are lots of ponds on the island with all sorts of sunfish, perch and bass. He could fish and as long as you do not, not even have your set up with you then he could fish without a NYS freshwater fishing license.

Sorry I can't help you with NS salt water locations.

v.

Use WAXWORMS on a # 12 hook at ANY pond or lake.

He (?) will catch so many sunfish he will wet his pants!

Do it right, and it won't take more than 3 seconds to get his first hit!

(Hint: American Cheese, broken in tiny pieces, makes GREAT chum!)

The best of this fishing is dowith a Crappie rod that is under 10' long.

You can use a coffee-stirrer as a strike indicator.

AMMO

PS: Pick a park with a playground nearby!

Try sticking a setup with spearing & squid for fluke, or sm. pcs of clam or worm for porgies in rocky areas w/ sand shoals. Sunken Meadow? Niss. River SP?

FW may be the way to go... like the Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery. Kids can feed trout & even catch em on hook & line, then walk through the place where they have aquaria & terrara full of native FW fish, frogs, toads, salamanders, snakes, & turtles.

oh yea - I'm not bringing a rod for me to use - He's got a little 'superman' plastic rod/reel I got for him when he was 2 and we went out on a pond for his first trip - got perch on shiners and he had a blast.

Bought him a zebco set up and someone gave me an old Penn 88 or 81 conventional and a rod at one of the fishing flea markets. Figured we'd use that one and I'd bring a spinner in case it's slow so he can cast with me and we'll throw a tin or something.

Thanks again guys

Had some fun with my kids (5 and 7) at Belmont Lake State Park awhile back. Got a couple of trout fishing with a similar setup and worms.

It's a bit of a ride for you (~20 min I'd guess, but not too sure), but it's a nice setup for the kids, and there's a full park nearby so when they get tired of fishing you can unleash them on the playground.

I'm lucky 'cause he's got a good appitite for fishing

not hours of course but he'll watch the rod and like to reel it in

Think the family and my father in law will head out for a bit and toss some worms / clams on the S shore

Thanks for the input everyone - some very good suggestions

Ed

If your doing the freshwater thing, make sure YOU have a license.

Legally, you can't put bait on the kids hook without a license. You can't even cast his rod for him without one...

Chris

If you need some suggestions on local lakes and ponds, PM me...

thanks JBT - usually get my license every year - like to do a little sweetwater fishing as well but we're going to do the salt thing.

Was thinking of teaching the little guy how to break into the girl scout camp like we did when we were young for some good fishing. Now that I'm quite a bit older thought better of it - don't want to get arrested

There's a few nice little ponds over by me - also have a little 13ft sears aluminm boat w/ a trolling motor - may head over to Lake Ronk with him at somt point - just need a way to haul it

View PostThere's a few nice little ponds over by me - also have a little 13ft sears aluminm boat w/ a trolling motor - may head over to Lake Ronk with him at somt point - just need a way to haul it

Check out Artist Lake in Middle Island...

Chris