For Our Friend Brewroom

Rate this topic

Mike

Let us not forget those who have lived with us.

Today marks the anniversary of Jay's last day with us. For those who may not have had the pleasure to have known him, and especially for those who did, there is an internet Memorial to Jay at http://www.triumphbrewing.com/blog/jaymisson/ .

I suggest that you call your friends when you think of them. I saw Jay make this post,

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...6&postcount=12

his last, picked up the phone to call him and decided it was too late that night.

It was a Sunday and I had to work in the morning. It was stupid. Jay and I always talked late at night after the wives were in bed, sometimes drinking scotch until well into the morning. I missed my chance to have one more conversation with him. Worse, I could have been on the phone with him when he got into trouble. Perhaps I could have called an ambulance that could have saved him, and I'll always regret that. Always. I had the phone in my hand... frown.gif

Miss you, Jay. Sorry that I was not there for you that night. Peace, Mike

"Depend not on fortune, but on conduct."

Mike,

thanks for bringing this up. Brew sounded like the best guy.. smile.gif

But for you, please dont beat yourself up with " maybe I coulda, or if I did this" thats too much.. people go when people go and there nothing that the people who love them and care for them can do about it. The best we can do is know that Brew is upstairs in the greatest Bar, slamming the best beers and having the greatest time and that his freinds have nothing but the best things to say about him...

Heres to Brew beers.gif

"The kids they dance and shake thier bones and the politicians throwing stones. singing ashes, ashes all fall down"

Mike and other friends of Jay,

I didn't know Jay at all, but here is my story about his last fishing excursion. I was alone on a jetty in Bradley Beach in early JUne 2008 while a pod of bunker was passing through. I was casting near the pod when I was joined by a guy who politely walked up and asked if I minded if he fished and that he definately wouldn't crowd me. I welcomed his company and told him that there was plenty of room for both of us. We fished for about 20 minutes without a hit and I told him that I was leaving. When I got to the sand, I looked back to see him into a good fish. I knew he didn't have a gaff with him so I went back out to offer him a hand if he needed it. He brought the fish to the side of the jetty and found it to be about a 12# blue. He thanked me for the help and we introduced each other as Charlie and Jay, shook hands, and parted our ways.

I didn't stay after that and I walked off again. When I got to the boardwalk, Sudsy and Cookie were sitting there watching us and Sudsy told me who the guy was.

The following day, Sudsy called me and told me what happened to the guy I had met on the jetty the day before. He said that i had gaffed the last fish that Brewroom had caught.

Like I said, that half an hour that we shared on that jetty was the only contact that I had ever had with Jay, but that was all it took for me to form my opinion of the guy. His general demeanor and that constant smile let me know that he must of had plenty of friends on this earth. I'm sure that he is missed greatly by all of his friends and family. I only wish that I could have met him maybe 10 or 20 years ago.

RIP Jay.

I never had a chance to know Jay, and from what I hear I am sorry I missed out on what seems to have been a wonderful, and generous personality. Many times loved ones are taken from us too soon and the best thing to do is to remember the good things about them. So here is to Jay beers.gif, maybe one day we will all be able to share another cold one with him!

Quote:Originally Posted by Eric_Sfirst hit turned out to be a 13lb bass on a big plug. Very happy to see stripes again so I humped it then sent it on its way.

Jay was a great guy..he and I lived in the same town. I'd see him on the beach but more often at the local tavern on some summer weekend nights. He was the kind of guy that when you walked into a crowded bar he'd work his way through the crowd right away to come over and shake your hand and talk about what was going on. A simple wave or nod across a room wasn't Jay. He was always psyched to talk about fishing, what he caught or getting the skunk...Jay seemed like a guy that was just happy getting out on the water, no matter what. He had alot to say about the fishing trip to Mexico he took too.

Jay had left me a message right before he left us about a party he was having, with an outdoor fire and a keg of his own Triumph beer. My lousy cell phone service didn't let me know I had a message from him until the day after the party..I thanked Jay with a PM and said I would be at the next party, without a doubt....that night, Jay passed. I really wished I had made that party that night.

I hope one day to see Jay again in a better place, and have a brew around the fire with him.

"Where is my mind?  Waaaaay out in the water see it swimming?"

Jay - Myself and a ton of other folks think of you often, and we smile.gif, just as you would want us to.

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

Jay was a wonderful friend. An outstanding man, all around. I had many long lunches with him in Princeton, talking fishing and the site and such. We always tried to make plans to fish together, but could never work it out. We would say, "Next time I see you, we'll figure out a date."

I was even graced with the "Standing Invite" to one of his weekend fire and brew fests. Never made it there either. frown.gif

Regrets, yeah Mike we all have them. But dont beat yerself up about that night. Ya know Jay would just tell you not to worry about it.

crying.gif

RIP Jay

Jay had been bugging me to stop in for one of his weekend bonfires for too long

I finally made it over the Friday night before he left us. He was as always a magnificent host, it was his calling in life, even more so then his incredible beer making skills.

I think of Jay often and will miss him forever.

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

View PostI took this from the Triumph tribute. Made by HPD. Thought it was appropriate to put here. Really nice video.

RIP

UfMeM4-EMHc&eur

Wow, very moving. frown.gif

I only met the man once - but I knew immediately he was the real deal. smile.gif

God be with him and his loved ones. +

"ALL THE BEST!"