Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cantilever

Only 11% of stim money sent out?

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

I was talking to my boss and he's pretty ticked that only 11% of the money has gone out....

Obama was in such a rush to get it done, yet the money isnt going out...

Whats taking so long? They being super carefull making sure the money isnt abused?

And if only 11% has come out, why should we belive 70% will be out by Oct?

Unless it just takes time for these things to get going... But IMO somethin' aint right

View Postwhere the **** do you think this money is coming from?

Even if its just printed out of thin air....it can be done....

Are you saying that money doesnt exist and will NEVER be spent?

If its not really going to happen then why ***** and moan about nothing??

So you have no answer for any of my questions?

Besides asking me some sarcastic attitude laced question?

Im trying to have a real discussion, Id love to hear other ideas and thoughts, but if you are just going to give me a hard time for whatever reason then dont bother..

Unless it just takes time for these things to get going

Some construction projects require environmental impact analysis and are not "shovel ready."

View Post

Some construction projects require environmental impact analysis and are not 'shovel ready."

Yes but the design and bid phase needs to be done before hand. Also I dont think ALL the money is for construction jobs...

Okay as I stated in a post I made in another thread. How is this going to help the economy?

The new projects are being framed as the beginning of a "summer of accelerated Recovery Act activity" by the administration and include new services at health centers in 50 states, work on 107 national parks, improvements at airports, highway locations and veterans' medical facilities. They will also provide funding for schools to hire more teachers. kooky.gif

If these " jobs " are created what will it accomplish? They do not produce. They are not producer positions. They need to be paid. How are they paid? With the producers tax dollars. The economy is only going to get better when the " producer jobs " start increasing. Economics 101.

Okay, the argument that they will consume. Sure will, while the producers consume less because their taxable income won't increase but the taxes will.

We can Hope for Change. But the change we are going to get isn't going to be what we hoped for.

View PostOkay as I stated in a post I made in another thread. How is this going to help the economy?

The new projects are being framed as the beginning of a “summer of accelerated Recovery Act activity” by the administration and include new services at health centers in 50 states, work on 107 national parks, improvements at airports, highway locations and veterans’ medical facilities. They will also provide funding for schools to hire more teachers. kooky.gif

If these " jobs " are created what will it accomplish? They do not produce. They are not producer positions. They need to be paid. How are they paid? With the producers tax dollars. The economy is only going to get better when the " producer jobs " start increasing. Economics 101.

Okay, the argument that they will consume. Sure will, while the producers consume less because their taxable income won't increase but the taxes will.

We can Hope for Change. But the change we are going to get isn't going to be what we hoped for.

Well I guess they see it as investments...

For example, a dollar givin to someone doing something could produce 2 dollars..

Also work tends to create more work after...

I personally did some design work for some military bases that were supposedly started from the stim money... In turn I spent that money on goods. Thats the main concept of basically giving a jump start to get the ball rolling.

Then you have some of the green jobs which will be of the few that will need new training and be completely new created jobs..

I think using money to start work does stimulate the economy. However we dont really have the money to spend and there are theories as to what would get us the most bang for our buck...

View PostSo you have no answer for any of my questions?

Besides asking me some sarcastic attitude laced question?

Im trying to have a real discussion, Id love to hear other ideas and thoughts, but if you are just going to give me a hard time for whatever reason then dont bother..

you still don't understand where this stim money is coming from?

Total value of package passed in February:

$787 billion

of this,

$237 billion is tax cuts for individuals.

$51 billion is tax cuts for companies.

The real "cash" spending, nominally, is thus $499 billion.

This total is earmarked thusly:

Healthcare $147.7 billion (59% of this is for medicaid!)

Education $90.9 billion (1/2 of which is to prevent teacher layoffs!)

Welfare $82.5 billion (1/2 of which is for unemployment benefits!)

Infrastructure $80.9 billion (2/3 of which is highways etc).

Parks/Natural Resources $15 billion (1/2 of which is for broadband & wireless access)

Energy $61.3 billion

Housing $12.7 billion (1/3 of which is for public housing)

Scientific research $8.9 billion (1/3 of which is for NSF)

Other pork ... is the difference.

Tell me Cantilever, how fast do you think the fed.gov can raise $500 B in cash borrowing (just for this program, never mind everything else) in four short months?

Where is this money coming from?

And in the end, based on the spending programs above, even if 100% funded today, would you really benefit given how the money is being pissed away on existing programs (medicaid/unemployment etc).

View PostIf this article is right, only 11% of the stim oney has been sent out. But they say another 70% will be out by the end of the fiscal year...

Also says it will create/save over 600k jobs...

Were they waiting to see unemployment numbers take the first big drop before coming out with this info?

June 8 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama, trying to bolster an economy he says still has a "long way to go," announced 10 projects aimed at creating or saving more than 600,000 jobs, according to the administration.

The plans are meant to boost the effectiveness of a $787 billion stimulus measure sought by Obama and approved by Congress in February. The projects will be a key focus of recovery efforts during the next three months and create or save four times more jobs than during the first 100 days since the rescue bill became law, according to a White House news release.

"We have a long way to go on our road to recovery but we are going the right way," Obama said in a statement. "Our measure of progress is the progress the American people see in their own lives. And until that progress is steady and solid; we're going to keep moving forward.

The new projects are being framed as the beginning of a "summer of accelerated Recovery Act activity" by the administration and include new services at health centers in 50 states, work on 107 national parks, improvements at airports, highway locations and veterans' medical facilities. They will also provide funding for schools to hire more teachers.

White House officials said yesterday they are encouraged by a slowing rate of job losses. The economy lost 345,000 jobs last month, fewer than expected and the lowest number since September, the Department of Labor reported June 5.

Rising Unemployment

Still, unemployment rose to 9.4 percent, higher than the 8 percent the administration projected when it pressed Congress to enact the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.

"Hopefully, that is a sign that this is turning," David Axelrod, senior adviser to Obama, told CNN yesterday. "While it's going to take some time for these unemployment numbers to turn around, for the momentum to completely stop and turn in the other direction, it feels as if we're moving."

Vice President Joe Biden, who later today will formally present Obama with the administration's latest economic stimulus goals, said a "good foundation" was laid in the first 100 days of the Recovery Act.

"We plan to build on that foundation and accelerate our efforts so we can accomplish even more," Biden said in a statement. "We're going to get more dollars out the door, more shovels into the ground and more money into the pockets of workers and families who need it most."

Committing Funds

In the three months after the Democratic-led Congress approved Obama's stimulus plan, the government doled out about 11 percent of the emergency stimulus funds, according to a progress report released by Biden's office on May 13.

The administration says it will commit about 70 percent of the money by the end of the next fiscal year, less than the 75 percent that White House officials projected in February.

Biden, citing "significant progress," stressed in the May report that most programs and projects were running ahead of schedule and under budget.

The act resulted in 150,000 jobs being created or saved in the first three months, the assessment said.

The 10 new projects to be financed with stimulus funds include hiring or retaining about 5,000 law enforcement officers, starting 200 new waste and water systems in rural areas, creating 125,000 summer jobs for young people and initiating 2,300 construction and rehabilitation projects at military facilities across the nation, the administration said.

"We will not grow complacent or rest," Obama said. "Surely and steadily, we will turn this economy around."

Boston Herald story says only 5% of the Stimulus money has been released to date.

View PostBoston Herald story says only 5% of the Stimulus money has been released to date.

Well, its probably hard to tell that as well. However I dont see bloomberg having any reason to sweetin up the story

View Post

Tell me Cantilever, how fast do you think the fed.gov can raise $500 B in cash borrowing (just for this program, never mind everything else) in four short months?

Where is this money coming from?

And in the end, based on the spending programs above, even if 100% funded today, would you really benefit given how the money is being pissed away on existing programs (medicaid/unemployment etc).

Thats why I was asking the questions...cwm13.gif I wasnt proclaiming anything I was asking. If you think its a stupid discussion or questions then buzz off. NO reason to be giving me any ****. Im just trying to discuss and figure stuff out... If you want to continue then get off the high horse...