Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
emaxxman

Losing hooks on snags...what to do?

20 posts in this topic

I'm losing a lot of hooks...we're talking an average of 4 per 3-5 hour outing while river/stream fishing for trout. I've got 2 reels (2lb and 6lb test), size 8-10 hooks, and using the smallest split shot I can find (at Walmart). On the 6lb line, the split shot isn't even heavy enough for the line to cast straight.

Either the split shot or the hook gets caught in between rocks as it floats. Most times I'm able to catch in time and the finesse it free (quick snap of the line or a gentle tug).

It's a pain to constantly have to re-tie the hook. I actually lost a gold spinner the other day in fairly strong current because it got caught on the bottom. Sucked...1st time out with it.

Am I doing something wrong? If I don't use a split shot at all, then the bait (worm or Powerbait) just flows away.

When trout fishing it depends on what your fishing with and the conditions.

Me personally I am more of a river/stream fisherman who moves around a lot. I rotate between spinners and trout magnets. I very rarely use split shots. If im in shallow water either can work. The right spinner can be best in shallow water if you get snagged you can reach over and get it out. If your in a area where its hard to cast, and there are lots of snags use the cheap trout magnets. Everybody loses gear here and there its just part of fishing.

The object though when floating lures /bait (micro jigs, worms, salmon eggs etc.) is to keep it near the bottom but not on it. You have to twitch your rod so it doesn't settle and get snagged.

lose the 2lb test in a stream. 4 or 6. that being said 4 hooks in an outing isnt bad at all imo. its part of fishing bait like that. if the water is under 4' deep i would lose the split shot.

View PostI'm losing a lot of hooks...we're talking an average of 4 per 3-5 hour outing while river/stream fishing for trout

Like Brian said...4 hooks over 3 hours river fishing isnt that bad. Keep doing what you are doing...small splitshot. Luckily fishhooks arent that expensive.

when you start losing roostertails is when it gets frustrating.

Well, I guess I don't feel so bad. I was thinking that I looked like an idiot out there constantly retying a new hook when it seemed like no one else was.

FWIW, I lost 2 rooster tails on Saturday...brand new ones too. Sucked.

I usually like to fish with no lead with a worm for trout in streams/rivers, but I'm also used to fishing smaller waters. This past Saturday I was fishing a much bigger river, and needed some weight to cast, but didn't want it on the bottom.

What I found that woked was a hook on a long leader (around 18-20"), attached to a snap swivel. Right above the swivel I had 3 of the trout magnet floats, spaced just far enough apart to put a small rubber core sinker between 2 floats. The floats kept the sinkers on top, and I could cast where i needed to cast.

As for lures, I've found that if you keep your rod tip up at a higher angle as you retrieve, the lure will stay alot closer to the surface. In fact, with Kastmasters, you can pretty much skip them across the surface.

One other thing you can try. Get a small (F03 or F05 size) floating Rapala in a trout friendly color. Since it floats, you can let it drift with the current over a lot of the rocks, and start retrieving when it gets over the deeper water. By combining a slower retrieve + rod tip up + periodic pauses to let it float to the surface, you can avoid a lot of snagging. It can still happen, but it should happen less often.

Another lure that I recommend is Rapala's Husky Jerk, in size HJ6 or HJ8. The lure sinks, but not very aggresively. Rapala calls it a suspending action. They seem to not snag very often when I use them, vs "sinking" Rapalas, where they just head for the bottom.

View PostI like to use heavy line and TUG really hard until the weight comes rocketing back. Anyone want to go fishing with me?

bwwwwahhahaha... you have a few cavities there cuz.. lol

Here's the story behind the x-ray. Something similar happened last year to a NY angler and he wasn't as lucky.

Weight flies inside angler's eye

The X-ray reveals the weight inside Darren Williams' cheek

A freak accident saw an angler's lead weight fly through his eye socket and become embedded inside his cheek.

Darren Williams, 34, of Wrexham, had a five-hour operation to repair his shattered cheekbone with a metal plate.

The machine operator was on a fishing trip on Anglesey when his line became snagged and the weight flew up.

"I was so lucky - if it had been a few millimetres in the other direction then I would have lost my eye," he said.

He is keeping the weight as a souvenir after doctors gave it back to him.

"It's my lucky weight now. I will carry it around with me," said Mr Williams, of Acrefair.

He was fishing with friends at Llyn y Gorse, near Llandegfan on Anglesey, when the freak accident happened on Saturday.

"I was fishing when the line got snagged on something and as I pulled it, I just felt something hit me on the face and knock me to the floor," said Mr Williams.

"To be honest, I didn't know what had happened, but when I put my hands to my face they were covered in blood.

Emergency operation

He thought the weight had just hit him and bounced off.

"But my mates ran over to me and they could see the tip of the weight sticking out of my eye socket".

Mr Williams, who works at Wrexham chemical plant Flexys underwent an emergency operation at Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, where surgeons took the weight out.

Surgeons removed the weight and rebuilt his shattered cheekbone with a metal plate.

"They showed me the X-ray and I just couldn't believe it," said Mr Williams, who is recovering at home after spending two days in hospital.

"I was so lucky if it had been a few millimetres in the other direction then I would have lost my eye."

Mr Williams said he expected to be off work for some time.

He did not catch anything on that trip - but said the accident had not put him off fishing.

MELVILLE, N.Y. (AP) -- A man fishing off Long Island is dead after a 3-ounce lead fishing weight attached to his pole struck him in the face and dug into his brain.

Relatives and a physician say Roosevelt resident Jaime Chicas died Tuesday from severe head trauma and herniation.

A neurologist at Nassau University Medical Center says the lead weight from Chicas' fishing pole hit with "so much force that it kept going" and lodged in the back of his head.

Relatives say the 21-year-old was fishing with his brother-in-law and cousin at the west end of Jones Beach Friday when the accident happened.