Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

Mitchell Spinning Reel Tweaking Question for GOS

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

After reading a post you made a while ago about the old Mitchell spinning reels I decided to go check them out. Well I've ended up with a 498, a 496 with a 386 on the way, all PUM (Pick Up Manual).

Are there any tweaks, tricks or upgrades to these reels that we should be aware of ? (The drag system in particular).

Hang em' on the wall for nostalgia, well built reels for their time, even then they were coffee grinders. GOS might be frozen in, I believe Bill Klein knows these things pretty well, of course he hates bails and likes anyhting spinnning without a bail.

Why can't you just settle for a 706z like everbody else, its because you love to have reel problems.

Why can't you just settle for a 706z like everbody else, its because you love to have reel problems.

Got one. Too big, too heavy, too loud, never use it. I like my 700 and 704 greenies much better, although the 700 is a pretty heavy beast. Bill Klein is on the money, bails suck, I hate em too.

These Mitchells are as simple as the old Penns. Not much to go wrong - unlike most of the reels you buy today. I've got a drawer full of newer dead reels (those 27" fish can be pretty tough moon.gif ).

My old Penns and Abu's are still going strong. I'd be very surprised if the Mitchells were not in the same class and as a bonus quite a bit lighter than their Penn counterparts.

Keep

It

Simple

Stupid

Actually, they're even simpler inside than a 704.

The drag is self contained in the spool knob. Some might have a leather thrust washer under the spool, where it sits on the end of the shaft. I've never been able to figure out how to get the drag apart--maybe GOS can help.

Problem areas? The line roller tends to stick on the models with bails, and it's pretty easy for line to find its way under the spool if you over-fill it. I wouldn't use them with spun braid, but I bet they'll work just fine with Fireline. Never had a gear/shaft or other internal problem with mine.

If you can find one, the round handle from the 400 series is much better than the torpedo handle on the 386.

The drag is self contained in the spool knob. Some might have a leather thrust washer under the spool, where it sits on the end of the shaft.

2 Teflon washers, one under the spool and one under the knob

Problem areas? The line roller tends to stick on the models with bails, and it's pretty easy for line to find its way under the spool if you over-fill it.

??? All three are skirted spools

If you can find one, the round handle from the 400 series is much better than the torpedo handle on the 386.

The 386 PUM (only available in Europe) comes with it biggrin.gif

the drags can be modded,add a washer,no they shouldnt be on no frikn shelf.fish withem,i fish with my dads mitchells and theyre ancient.

tweaktime now,take the thing down,clean the hell out of it.polish the shafts and buffem up.light grease pack in the pinion and ring teeth and some on the pinion rtatchet gear teeth as well,DONT BOG IT,if you dont like the clikkety ratchet then sht it off.too much grease slows it down and makes the reel feel sluggish,breakfree clp on the shafts and sleeve bearings.assemble add fish hang on.i also tweak the ratchet spring a bit light but not so light she wont engage on a hookset.also for you guys with bails who do this use the frikn finger,lay it on the spool cup to keep the spool steady while casting so it dont slam shut.that 498 was one hellava reel,i gave mine to an elderly nieghbor back on ta old mountain road next door who fishes daily with it and wont use nuthin but.anyone who knocks an old mitchell dont know nuthin or aint fished with one thats been done up right.one fast reel.........enjoy

Both of mine are cupped spool models---a 386 and a 486. The cupped spool ones obviously were the ones I was referring to with the line under the spool problem wink.gif If Mitchell now makes a European market 386 with a skirted spool, that's no longer an issue biggrin.gif

Mine are both 70s vintage. Neither had any kind of washer under the spool.

I also had a 496 from the early 90s that had a leather thrust washer under the spool. Sold it awhile back. Now that I think of it, all of the 490 series Mitchells were skirted spool models.