Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeMcG

Thoughts

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Now that the season is almost over around here and most of the people have packed it up for the year, I was wondering, what did you do differently this year as opposed to last year?

Try anything different?

Fish new areas? or fish the same areas with new tactics?

What do you want to do differently next year?

For me, this year I fished on and around a few jetties for the first time. I didn't catch much, but then again, I didn't do that much better fishing from the sand smile.gif

Also, this year I threw alot more wood vs. just throwing Bombers and rubber. Nothing beats watching a bass come from nowhere and do a cartwheel on a swimmer cwm12.gif

For next year, I want to fish more jetties and really concentrate on catching bigger fish. I also want to fish with rigged eels next year. I only used a rigged rubber eeel once this season and didn't catch anything.

I hope everyone had a good year and have a Happy New Year HappyWave.gif

It didn't matter what tactics were tried, this was the worst fall for fishing in NJ in the last 25 years (maybe longer but I'll attest to the last 25). Trying for bigger fish isn't even an option, there were very few (I'd say none but someone would say they caught a 21 lber)so lets just say very few, it was difficult enough to get something that would take drag. I didn't even get to Rhody until the first week of November, that was no better and from what I've heard no other area was much better. That being said, I'm glad the bass stocks are considered fully recovered and plentiful.

As for next year, we wait and see what happens, 2005 has left a nasty taste.

I tried to fish at night alot more this fall...really put some time in on the rocks with needlefish and darters at night among other things, 4-5 nights a week in Oct/Nov. It turned out to be the worst season for me ever.

I also tried inshore sharking on the boat after seeing two good sized sharks the day before within a few miles in July. We couldn't even chum up a bluefish when we went though.

Also took my first tarpon trip and came back with my tail between my legs. Hooked a few monsters over 150 pounds and they spit the hook on everyone. Mangrove snapper and cuda saved the day though.

Tried for the medium shore schoolie bluefins too..skunked one day and fogged in another.

All in all a tough year redface.gif

I really want to try some night fishing, not easy to do when you`re 100 miles away,I`ve gone without sleep before. Also, I just invested in a conventional and will have to re-learn how to use it. Here`s hoping the spring run is better than the past few months.

I got a lot more skunks this year than usual! I didn't lose as many lures as usual. I fished for Weakfish more than usual and got my largest ever [14.5]. Was unusually usual using my words unusually?

Tried 20 LB PP instead of the 30 I used for a long time. No problems with it for me.

Fished bait more than ever.

Drove south more than ever looking for twinks.

Made some unusual friends. Yea you Tom, Fred, Bruce, Bob, Jim, Steve, Neil, Rob, Adam and Dana. You're all a bunch of whacko's. Thanks for hanging out with me in 05.

D.J.

For me, this year I fished on and around a few jetties for the first time. I didn't catch much, but then again, I didn't do that much better fishing from the sand smile.gif

For next year, I want to fish more jetties and really concentrate on catching bigger fish.

And I should be there right along side you. Maybe we will drag chief to the secret rock spot lol. Hope all goes well, Happy new year!

For next year, I want to fish more jetties and really concentrate on catching bigger fish.

And I should be there right along side you. Maybe we will drag chief to the secret rock spot lol. Hope all goes well, Happy new year!

So much for better fishing in '06 tongue.gif