Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wild Bill

Martha's Vineyard--Bass on Squid and Sand Eels

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Terry and I fished the Vineyard this past week. We started most days with calm seas and ended with a stiff breeze from the SW. The bass fishing was OK early in the week but not quite up to previous trips. We used soft plastics when the flies were not working well but caught the largest number of fish on the fly rod.

We wanted to stock up on some large soft plastics while we were up there. The 10 inchers we were using were now up to $2.25 per lure. One nasty bluefish can ruin that investment in a hurry. I have wanted to try some of the 11' and 13' Got Stryper soft plastics. Called Allen, owner of Got Stryper Lures in Chatham, and he was kind enough to bring us a $100 assortment to try. He uses a 10/0 Owner Beast hooks in the 11" and 13" baits and they really hold. I caught a number of fish with just one bait in the morning and used the same bait most of the afternoon until a bluefish ate it. The Amber color is a perfect match for a fleeing squid. The fact that the bait is 13" and the squid were not that large did not seem to matter. The bass nailed the big bait with abandon. To call the lures "Got Stryper" is a little awkward so Terry and I just started calling it "The Beast"--seemed to fit. Terry used the 11" bait with good success also. The 13" Beast weighs 3 ounces and the 11" is 2 ounces.

beast.jpg

Got Stryper Soft Plastics in 7", 9", 11" and the 13" Beast

mvtz.jpg

Terry with a Bass that Fell for "The Beast"

mvbs.jpg

Healthy 42"/30# Striper that Ate "The Beast"

Most days we went into Vineyard Haven on dead tide to eat at the Black Dog Tavern. It was a nice break and very good food.

mvharbor.jpg

Vineyard Haven Harbor

mvferry.jpg

Ferry Runs from Wood's Hole Vineyard Haven

By mid week Terry and I wanted to try some new spots. We made an 18 mile run to the east end of the island where there are some fishy looking shoals. We did find blues eating sand eels but no bass. Called a bud at noon while at the Black Dog. He has a house on the island. He gave us a very good tip as to where there were good numbers of fish. The seas were calm and we wasted no time running the 16 miles to the new spot.

mvmotor.jpg

On a Mission

The fish were slurping sand eels and an occasional squid. Terry and I got the fly rods working. These fish were eating well and most were very fat and thick. Sizes ranged from five to 18 pounds.

mvfly.jpg

Both Weighted and Unweighted Sand Eel Flies Worked Great

We had fish splashing on top for the last two days. There were numerous doubles on the fly rods and too many fish to count. After a rather slow start to the week, we had all the fish anyone could want. A great trip with a super ending.

mvtz1.jpg

Terry with a Good Bass on an Unweighted Sand Eel Fly

mvbs3.jpg

Bass Fell for One of My Weighted Sand Eel Flies

View PostNice, I will be up there June 20th-July 1. Can't wait!

Good luck on your trip. I am going up with Brandon this Sunday for four days of fishing, if the weather looks good. I saved you emails. Did not forget about you Mike. Hopefully we can get together for a trip one day.

Sounds good Bill. That place never seems to disappoint. This will be my 13th year I have been there. I am staying right in the background of one of your pics wink.gif.

I would love to fish with ya some day!

View PostGood luck on your trip. I am going up with Brandon this Sunday for four days of fishing, if the weather looks good. I saved you emails. Did not forget about you Mike. Hopefully we can get together for a trip one day.