Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shbeachbum

Any Pediatricians Out There?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

My daughter just came home from her doctor's visit with her new son. She said the doc stated his height & weight is in the 50th percentile and his head is in the 25th percentile. When we asked her what that ment, she said she doesn't know. Can someone explain to us grandparents what it means.

Thanks

First of all, congratulation. Second. THose percentiles are based on a growth chart. That chart is made from the anthropometric measurements, ht wt, head circumference of millions of kids. What they are saying is that your grandchild weighs and is taller than 50% o fthe kids his age. The head is bigger than 25% of the kids. What does that mean??? It means a wonderful healthy kid. In my practice I let the kids pick which line they are going to follow, I don;t care which one, just follow it. That means as they grow they should stay around their percentile. The kids that worry me are the ones that fall off the chart or fly off the top of the chart. Enjoy your grandchild. You got a normal one smile.gif

Forgot to mention. I'm not a pediatrician, I stayed at a holiday inn last night....no, really I am a nurse practitioner in pediatrics. Scott

I'm no Dr. but I found this for you, hope it helps.

T

The NCHS growth charts are divided into seven percentile lines, ranging from the 5th to 95th percentile. If a girl, is at the 75th percentile in height, it does not mean that her height is 75 percent of normal. Rather it means that She is taller than 75 percent of the healthy, well-nourished girls her age in the Ohio Study between 1963 and 1975. The 50th percentile is the median, or standard value -- the number above and below which half of the children fall.

Numbers between the 5th and 95th percentiles are considered normal. The standard weight for a one-year-old girl is 21 pounds. Anyone weighing between 17 1/4 and 24 3/4 pounds will be between the 5th and 95th percentiles. Nevertheless, remember that, by definition, 5 percent of completely healthy, well-nourished girls will fall below the 5th percentile. Still, when a child measures below the 5th percentile, the likelihood that there is some type of growth problem increases.