Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mullica Bob

Opinions on a Baitcaster please,

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

My Calcutta 400 is beyond being able to trust anymore.

My question is, what do you guy's feel is the best made and toughest of the reels with a levelwind in that class?

Another Calcutta maybe an Abu Inshore, or something else?

Mainly fishing the Bunker pods with it.

Thanks in advanced.

I like a 6500 cs mag elite just for the simple fact that abus are easy to upgrade, maintain and pimpablenaughty.gif I own smother and tougher reels but the abu has alot of options. I will admit I am curious about the new saltist 20 levelwind, it might have some possibilities.

View PostCan you fix the Calcutta? Were you happy with it when it was working? I would get another Calcutta or a TE.

I kept it lightly serviced on and off over the years and then sent it back to Shimano for a once over. It has heavy pitting around the bearing on the crank side to the point it looks like it's going to come out of the case. The same things that were wrong with it before the Shimano service are popping up again. It has an enormous amount of time on it and has been into a lot of fish up to 47lbs.

I have no problem picking another Cal 400 up but would just like to see what some others have to say.

700 is too big I have an older 700 and like it but again too big for what I want to do. Something in the 400 size has been ideal.

5/0 are you talking about the new Saltist with the levelwind? I glanced at it but would like to hear some input on them first.

I have at least 6 Abu 6500 but they can't compair to the 3 Calcutta's 400! It sounds like to me you fish & expect every time you use it it should be just like new?? You need to rinse, maintain any reel you own. How old is the Reel? How often do you use it? HOW OFTEN DO YOU CLEAN IT?? Doesn't matter what reel you own if not maintained it's worthless!

View Post700 is too big I have an older 700 and like it but again too big for what I want to do. Something in the 400 size has been ideal.

5/0 are you talking about the new Saltist with the levelwind? I glanced at it but would like to hear some input on them first.

You're not going to get a lot of long term feedback, because the 30 LW was introduced last year, and the 20 LW was brought out this year. I just bought the 30 and I haven't used it enough to really feel comfortable recommending it. It feels solid and well built, and the 20 is about the same size as a Calcutta 400 in capacity--but a few ounces heavier, I believe.

I also can't tell you whether today's Calcuttas are built as well as the older ones. I bought mine in 1998. I don't even know whether they're still made in Japan.

The Saltist is made in Korea, by the way.

penn 965 is about the same size they both use the one way roller bearing money about the same but neither reel likes taking a bath in the salt/sand why not go topless and get a mag 525 you can still throw the light stuff