Followers 0
bido

June 6, 1944

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Thanks to ALL vets !

We can never repay what they have done for all of us

Great post

My grandfather got lucky - he missed out on D-Day but ended up being a dog handler on the hump in Burma

Bido...Thanks for starting this thread.

The "Greatest Generation" saved the world from the original "Axis of evil".

Thanks to all the veterans who fought, some making the ultimate sacrifice, so that the rest of us could live free. America - The land of the free because of the brave.

June 6th will mark the 65 anniversary of D day. My father landed in France during that invasion and never talked too much about it. Although he did say after watching Saving Private Ryan, "that's how it was.....only worse because it was real". For those of you who never saw Saving Private Ryan, it is, by most accounts, one of the more realistic war films. My father did not talk about the war years except to say "we lost a lot of good men over there". The war left its mark as the nightmares never stopped. I could not begin to imagine the sheer terror felt by those men landing on a beach in France, 65 years ago. Maybe the terror they felt that day, and what they did in the year after that day, has made us all a little safer here in the US.

Thank God we have so many fine men and women in our armed forces carrying on the tradition set by the Greatest Generation.

Thank you and Thank you Dad.

what a day that was. I cant even to begin to imagine.... frown.gif

gramps was @ tarawa.. just read a book about him called Faithful Warriors and it blew my mind. I have a japanese officers sword from that battle that he 'collected'..

View Post.

What an incredible operation with incredible planning, carried out by incredible men.

That's an awesome pic. Helps show the magnitude of the whole thing, and that was carried out over miles of beachhead.

Thank God we used to take care of problems, and America got to become what it is, and too bad we no longer take care of problems the way we used to.

God bless America, and all veterans. Thanks!

View PostThat's an awesome pic. Helps show the magnitude of the whole thing, and that was carried out over miles of beachhead.

In those first two pictures, you really get a sense for the anxiety these men must have felt as they approached the carnage on the beach. I can't even begin to imagine what that must have been like.

What an incredible operation with incredible planning, carried out by incredible men.

Indeed.

View PostExcuse me but I think our military still has plenty of balls....

Yep! They do! It's not the military that lacks the balls, it's the politicians, swayed by a vocal minority. It's not a recent thing, either.

View PostIn those first two pictures, you really get a sense for the anxiety these men must have felt as they approached the carnage on the beach. I can't even begin to imagine what that must have been like.

Yep, I agree. I don't think I've ever come close to being as scared as i would be there, approaching that beach. Incredible.