Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishbulb

Plum at low tide

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

So I'm trying to put something together for a trip up to PI late next week.

Unfortunately the only time I'll be able to make it up there is the evening; probably be able to be there for dusk and maybe an hour or two before.

I'd like to try and make the most of it but it appears as though low tide's going to be something we'll have to deal with. Typically I'll fish PI at high tide, so I'm kind of out of my element.

Where would folks suggest checking out for that time span?

Does Joppa go dry during that span of time and would it be incredibly dangerous to try and wade it for the first time with the sun going down?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

If you are going to wade Joppa, bring a compass & take a bearing once you get out there. Walk carefully once you get chest deep because there are some little bumps every now then that you can trip over, and taking a spill would not be fun, and could get a little hairy. Also, I always plan to head back in before the tide turns because you get out pretty far and the water comes in pretty fast.

View PostIf you are going to wade Joppa, bring a compass & take a bearing once you get out there. Walk carefully once you get chest deep because there are some little bumps every now then that you can trip over, and taking a spill would not be fun, and could get a little hairy. Also, I always plan to head back in before the tide turns because you get out pretty far and the water comes in pretty fast.

Will do.

Perchance, where's the entrance to the Flats?

View PostYou never know around here when you cross the line to a spot burn so my advice is to just go ask at Surfland, they will tell you.

If fishing plum island is a spot burn then I think we all need to rethink some things.

There are some folks on this board that don't want you naming any names. That would include Plum Island. Its been made clear to me that those are the rules.

Wow...I'm just floored!

Thank you all for the help! Between this thread and PM's and what I knew before I should be in great shape! Of course, I say that now before I get the chance to get out there...but I feel like I have a much better grasp on where to go and when.

Again....you guys went above and beyond. Thank you.

Plum Island per se might not be a spot burn, but an explicit answer to the Joppa access question could be considered one -- that's why I PM'd it. cwm31.gif

View PostIf fishing plum island is a spot burn then I think we all need to rethink some things.

View PostPlum Island per se might not be a spot burn, but an explicit answer to the Joppa access question could be considered one -- that's why I PM'd it. cwm31.gif

Especially with the parking there. icon14.gif

Without giving the house away, I'll just say that there's a great spot for the lower stages of the tide closer to the mouth of the River...but as has been insuated by some posters who I think were referring to this spot, it is a complete zoo as far as numbers of fishermen. If you could fish that particular spot during the week and during foul weather, you might have a chance to find a spot to fish

I think i know the spot you're talking about. I only fish it very late at night. One of those nights will be tonight. I ususally see few people until the sun is up. Then I go home.

becareful on the flats!! I have never fished it I am new to striper fishing and always fight the crowd on the jetty. But have heard of stories that people get out there and when the tide turns there is a small channel you have to cross to get back to mainland. Goodluck

bassbandit