Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bradW

Gas Pedal or Brake Pedal??

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

anyone following the elderly menaces using their cars as weapons???

two major incidents in the past few days here in mass...

PLYMOUTH, Mass. - A 73-year-old woman has been charged after police say she drove a van into a crowd of people at a Vietnam memorial event.

Police say Anna Maria Little had just dropped off her husband at the event when her slow-moving Mercury Voyager minivan jumped a curb and plowed into a crowd, injuring seven people.

DANVERS, Mass. - Police say a mother and a 1-year-old child have been injured by a car that plowed through the front entrance of a Danvers Walmart.

Police say the 93-year-old driver was looking for a parking spot at about 10 a.m. Tuesday when his car drove between two red protective pillars in front of the store and crashed through the glass doors.

so when do we start testing? the pols have no balls on this issue because the old folks come out to the polls in force. are we the general public going to be protected from these q-tips who can't remember which pedal is the brake and which one is the gas???

HOW MANY MORE!!!

View Postanyone following the elderly menaces using their cars as weapons???

two major incidents in the past few days here in mass...

so when do we start testing? the pols have no balls on this issue because the old folks come out to the polls in force. are we the general public going to be protected from these q-tips who can't remember which pedal is the brake and which one is the gas???

HOW MANY MORE!!!

My My!! How knee jerk. I know Howie always rants about this and has examples but he never seems to cover teen incidents which according to the stats are more prevalent.beers.gif

Don't get me wrong, but anything can be blown out of proportion if give3n enough air time.

I'm all for testing by the way.

View PostMy My!! How knee jerk. I know Howie always rants about this and has examples but he never seems to cover teen incidents which according to the stats are more prevalent.beers.gif

Don't get me wrong, but anything can be blown out of proportion if give3n enough air time.

I'm all for testing by the way.

First of all, teens tend to kill themselves...Driving too fast and ending up wrapped around a tree. Secondly, young people do need to learn to drive, and they will get better with experience.

Old people only get worse.

My gripe with the old folks running over people is that they never seem to get prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Now say a young driver runs over a few people, then all of a sudden they're on trial for vehicular manslaughter at the least.

View PostMy My!! How knee jerk. I know Howie always rants about this and has examples but he never seems to cover teen incidents which according to the stats are more prevalent.

Here in NJ, the teen drivers are subject to curfews, limited to the number of passengers they can have, and are going to get special decals so that other drivers can see that there is a teen driver behind the wheel. And I'm sure that the NJ legislature will come up with more ideas that will supposedly keep us safer.

Meanwhile, elderly drivers aren't subjected to any restrictions. They can drive at night, have as many passengers as the car can fit, hell they can even hold CDL licenses.

Why discriminate against teen drivers because they are a risk and yet allow this other high-risk age group to drive unaffected. (I know, it's cause teens can't vote while the elderly turn out in droves.)

Oh and teen drivers are a risk because they don't have the experience and decision making skills on the road that come from years of driving. It's not that they have dwindling reaction time or a lack of coordination due to aging. Which would you rather be driving next to?

View PostI've said it before,once you hit 65 you should be re-tested every year. Just to test reflexes and eyesight would be a big help.

And I think that they should raise the minimum driving age to 25 for males and 21 for females. Accident statistics support me a heck of a lot more than they support you wink.gif

65 is nowhere near "elderly" in today's world. It's the far end of middle aged. Maybe at 75-80 you'd have a point, but most 65 year olds could still kick your ass in a fight biggrin.gif

Maine has a "graduated system", limiting passengers, cell phone use, etc. The penalties for speeding and other minor infractions are pretty steep also ( my youngest lost her licence twice for speeding, 30 days and 90 days, you'd think she would have learned after the first one)

I beleive the statistics show that it works to save lives.

http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/license...verlicense.htm