Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

Lancaster PA Camping?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Wifey wants to go a conference in Lancaster, PA in July and I'm looking for a place to stay. We plan to pull a pop-up and set up camp somewhere nearby. There isn't a single state park with camping within an hour of there, so I'm looking for a private campground instead. We want peace, quiet, and privacy. I don't care about electricity, amusements, laundry rooms, or any of the other stuff that private places offer.

Any recomendations?

If you don't mind a 20-25 minute drive, Muddy Run Park seems nice (been there many times, but never used the campground).... plus there's good fishing close by in the reservoir, and the Susquehanna River about 5 miles away.

White Oak is another quiet one... basically a small patch of woods surrounded by Amish farms on all sides.

All with in an hour and I'm sure all privately owned.

Cocalico Creek

Starlite

Beacon Hill

Hickory Run

Lake in the Wood

Oak Creek

Outdoor World

Red Run

Or just google Camping In Lancaster Pa.

French Creek State Park might be alittle over an hour away

View PostAll with in an hour and I'm sure all privately owned.

Cocalico Creek

Starlite

Beacon Hill

Hickory Run

Lake in the Wood

Oak Creek

Outdoor World

Red Run

Or just google Camping In Lancaster Pa.

French Creek State Park might be alittle over an hour away

Google was the first thing I used. There's also a link from the conference website for local camping. I have no problem finding campgrounds, it's knowing which ones are decent that is the problem. I've found private campgrounds to be a complete roll of the dice, whereas state run places adhere to some basic rules and are generally not such a party type place.

My worst experience with a private campground: Donna and I were checking in at this place in the Pine Barrens we found and reserved on the net.

The owner: "Howdy. We've got Parents Without Parters camping here this weekend too. Want to trade her in?" cwm13.gif

Loud music, 4x4 trucks, drinking, and people everywhere. Our "lakefront" site was on the edge of a dismal little swamp with brown putird water. mad.gif

Two drunk teenage boys walking through our camp after dark, call out to Donna: "Hey! You got any sisters?" cwm13.gif

French Creek looks good (checked it), but it's an hour and 10 mintues from the conference. Gifford Pinchot is about the same. Thanks though.

I live about 30 miles East of Lancaster. There's good camping all over the place and you don't have to deal with all the Lancaster antique crowd, or their traffic.

I can personally vouch for French Creek State Park. You might also want to check for places around Reading Pa.

If you could deal with the hour and 10 mintue drive I'd deffinatly do French Creek. I'm going there next weekend. I live in this area and have all the choices I listed above and I'm still going to French Creek.

I stay at Hickory Run alot since its right in the back yard. Most weekends are good.

Cocalico Creek normaly has bands on Staturday nights in July and August.

Private places your deffinatly rolling the dice.

I basically grew up at Starlite Camp Resort, many summers there. Nice family owned place, the oldest son Dave Kitch and his family now runs the place. Usually quiet during the week. My parent still have a trailer they leave up there all year, and i still bring my kids there. Highly recomended. I'll actually be up there the end of July with my girls.

If you re looking for a place that doesnt have anything, and tyou dont need anything, that what does it matter? as long as you can "pop you tent" and sleep, who cares? serisouly? not busting chops... are there things to look for in camp groupnds that sets them apart? I would think the amenities, but then you said you dont need/want any of that.

BC

View PostIf you could deal with the hour and 10 mintue drive I'd deffinatly do French Creek. I'm going there next weekend. I live in this area and have all the choices I listed above and I'm still going to French Creek.

This might just be our best bet.

View PostIf you re looking for a place that doesnt have anything, and tyou dont need anything, that what does it matter? as long as you can "pop you tent" and sleep, who cares? serisouly? not busting chops... are there things to look for in camp groupnds that sets them apart? I would think the amenities, but then you said you dont need/want any of that.

BC

It's the popping the tent to sleep part that I'm most concerned with. Private campgrounds can draw a crowd we aren't interested in sharing space with. 4 kids and a love of peace and quiet don't mix well with lots of people drinking, live bands playing late, and poorly enforced quiet hours. The a-hole who runs a generator all night to sit in an air conditioned travel trailer can keep a tent camper from getting decent rest.

I have camped at French Creek State Park and Muddy Run. Both are great places and inexpensive. There is warm water fishing at Muddy Run and both cold water fishing and warm water fishing at French Creek. Muddy Run is a little more convenient to Lancaster and the Susquehanna River. Sripers can be caught about a half hour away from Muddy Run at the Conewingo Damn and on the Susqehanna Flats.