Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigkris

frayed line on my penn 700

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I was given a penn 700, it was in pretty rough shape. Sand cloggong every thing and the ?year old grease in one big ball in the reel body. Anyway cleaned the reel up the best that I could fresh 20lb ande line and took it out for a trial run. One 36" 18lbr, One 38" 20lbr and a bunch of heavy schoolies.highfive.gif But half way through the night I realized the line was badly frayed, stripped 20-30 yds line off. After the second big fish it was again frayed. Checked the line roller with a cotton ball and could find no rough spots. Now I'm at a loss. I know I don't post much but I lurk alot,I just need some help with this one. The reel is mint otherwise and I would hate for it to sit on the shelf insted of doing what it was born to do, Bringing another cow to the boga!drool.gif

View PostBrand new rod guides are good.

I thought the same thing recently...then i started losing jigs on the cast. Broken guide on a new rod. Give them a quick double check with the cotton.

So I broke the reel down one system a a time spool in good shape no nicks.

Bail the same. The line roller on the other hand not spinning Pulled 15ft line over it 3 times frayed up something wicked. Now where to find parts???

View PostSo I broke the reel down one system a a time spool in good shape no nicks.

Bail the same. The line roller on the other hand not spinning Pulled 15ft line over it 3 times frayed up something wicked. Now where to find parts???

Any 704 or 705 parts will work.

is there a bearing in the roller maybe you could just replace the bearing or soak it in alcohol air gun it then heat it lightly and a soak in tranny fluid