sefmonster

Circle hooks or J hooks?

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Off the beach fishing chunks in a rod holder(no I'm too lazy to hold the rod),what would be the best hook to use? When using circle hooks do the fish hook themselves easily? Lately I have been chunking with rod in a holder and have been missing alot of fish and was thinking that the circles might do the trick!

Lets figure out why you've been missing fish first.......

How are you hooking the chunks?

What type of leader, weight, hook combination are you using?

Are you using a baitrunner reel and if not is the line tight with your drag engaged?

What is actually happening - walk us through your actions - fish hits, what do you do?

Are you missing hooksets entirely or losing the fish after a short fight?

Rod is in the holder ,then fish strikes and by the time I get to the rod it's gone! Maybe I should use a baitrunner but meanwhile I thought circles would work with rod in holder and drag engaged!

If you're spiking the rod then circles are the way to go. Looks like you're losing the fish shortly after they pick up your offering and try to run. Personally, I prefer to fish with baitclickers engaged and the drag loose. The fish then pick up the bait and run with minimal resistance. However, there are a bunch of excellent fisherman on this site that do the reverse (tighten the drag so the fish applies the pressure to hook itself). Either way, I think the circle hook gives you an advantage over the j-hook when spiking the rod.

What rig are you using? Fishfinder? Hi-lo?

Here are some common circles used for chunking striped bass in our area; Mustad duratin 15/0, Daiichi improved circle 13/0, Gami big eye 9/0, Mustad demon 10/0, Owner SSW 9/0.

I fish the duratins because they're cheap and I'm a grad student. I really like the shape of the Daiichi and the Big eye but they cost a small fortune. I HATE the shape of the SSW.

View PostRod is in the holder ,then fish strikes and by the time I get to the rod it's gone!

This is happening to me as well.

I'm using circle hooks tho. confused.gif

View PostRod is in the holder ,then fish strikes and by the time I get to the rod it's gone! Maybe I should use a baitrunner but meanwhile I thought circles would work with rod in holder and drag engaged!

Circle hooks are your ticket,but maybe holding the rod or being a little closer to it may help the problem. Put down the beer & pick up the Rod!!biggrin.gif

View PostThis is happening to me as well.

I'm using circle hooks tho. confused.gif

Remember that the majority of the circle hook needs to be exposed in order for it to do its job. If you hook the chunk or whatever bait and too much of it is filling the circle of the hook up, you'll miss fish or you won't get as solid of a hook up. You have to give the hook enough room to do its job.

sefmonster, as pretty much everyone else has said, circle hooks sound like they would benefit you. Whatever your quarry, circle hooks will help hookup when you are away from the rod. They also will help prevent gut hooks. I prefer the Daiichi 13/0 personally.. but there are other good offerings as well.

Firstly, either loosen the drag or disengage the reel. If your not experienced this could also cause you to lose fish.

Circle hooks are almost a must when chunking, I like the gami octopus 10/0's. But that really depends on your bait size.

Most fish ie: stripers, drum, shark and so on will run a little before eating the bait, its good to have the reel disengaged so the fish has enough time to eat. And then start reeling and that will put the hook where it needs to be.

I also like circle hooks better, it hooks easier than the j hooks imo. As others posted too it can be the way you hook the bait ( is the hook exposed enough to pierce the fish?) It can be a number of reasons. Another may be that theres a bunch of schoolies around right now so if your using a size 9-10 hook that may be too big to hook those smaller schoolies. Too many things to list. But keep trying you'll land one sooner or later.

View PostFirstly, either loosen the drag or disengage the reel. If your not experienced this could also cause you to lose fish.

Circle hooks are almost a must when chunking, I like the gami octopus 10/0's. But that really depends on your bait size.

Most fish ie: stripers, drum, shark and so on will run a little before eating the bait, its good to have the reel disengaged so the fish has enough time to eat. And then start reeling and that will put the hook where it needs to be.

octopus hooks arent circle hooks. i prefer octopus hooks too when chunking and having a bait runner or clicker is very important if ur spiking ur rod. if u pay attention u can usually pick up ur rod b4 the fish start swimming off with it.

View PostCircle hooks are your ticket,but maybe holding the rod or being a little closer to it may help the problem. Put down the beer & pick up the Rod!!biggrin.gif

I don't think this is the problem. Most of us here on the delmarva surf fish 4-8 rods at a time as we get a bunch of rogue fish on our beaches. It's not necessary to hold your rod, I promise.

Things to be aware of...sharp hook, make sure it'll dig into your finger nail; choose an appropriate hook for the bait you intend to use as there must be enough room on the hook to accomodate the bait AND the maw/jaw of the fish; Circle hooks...they are the surf fishermans best friend.

I recently purchased several of the available hooks and held em in my hand to see which I wish to use. I recommend the same thing for you. Purchase several brands and choose the hook that best fits your needs.

What's good about the circles....if you don't get there in time, and the fisheye swallows the hook,there's less chance of gut hooking it.

It took me a bit of a learning curve with them as I was trying to "set" the hook,when all it took was minimal pressure.